What will "wash you out"?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bronco209, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bronco209

Bronco209 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Great Falls, MT
    I really have no background issues. I was mostly worried about the driving. I have never driven a truck before and, quite honestly, it is somewhat intimidating. I have always felt that if I were trained to do something that I could eventually do it. I just read so many horror stories about backing, downshifting, winter driving,etc, that I am forced to question myself as to whether I can do it or not. I guess I will just put my faith in the instructors and believe in myself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    Fear can be a good thing.
    It can keep you alive.

But, too much of a good thing isn't always best either.

If you're really intimidated by a big truck try this. Go rent the biggest U-Haul (or whoever) & just drive it around for a day or two. When you feel better about that, go rent one of their bigger trailers to pull behind it for a day or two.

Choose a day when you think there's an open parking lot available to practice backing in.

It's not exactly the same but you'll get the idea & feel a lot more comfortable about it.

It might be a lil expensive but then, an education is never free.

4. No9Klein

No9Klein Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2007
    It is best to be upfront and honest about prior convictions, regardless of how long ago the offense was, or whether it has been expunged from the official court records.

There are companies that specialize in maintaining databases. Although a court may expunge a conviction, it will have not change the entries in these privately maintained databases. Many people who have had their record expunged have learned this the hard way. In this connected, computerized world, once a conviction has been entered, there is no telling who may have gathered the information for posterity. Many employers use the services of these database companies when checking out job applicants.

5. Bronco209

Bronco209 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Great Falls, MT
    BobC, Thanks for the advice. I am going to do that. I see you have been a trucker for 28 years. Thank you for taking the time to address my question. Heck, I'm not even a newbie yet....I'm a pre-newbie. I hope many of the veterans are willing to share their knowledge and experience like you have. That will make things so much easier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.