What winter socks would you recommend, best material for keeping feet warm?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GhentSaintPeters, Oct 2, 2019.

1. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks for the replies fellas!

A few things:

I run dry van reefer. So I won't be out in the cold for long.

that said, I'm a little ##### and my feet get cold very easily. And when my feet get cold, I cannot get them warm unless I take a warm shower, which as you guys know, isn't always possible OTR.

and I drive mainly in the south and upper Midwest. So, I will have a need for these socks.

for boots I ordered these, might be overkill, but I want my feet to stay warm when they send me to bum#### Minnesota with 2 feet of snow I'll have to step in at the warehouse to crank the landing gear up:

Twisted X Men's Lite Cowboy Western Work Boots - Composite Toe | Boot Barn

Composite toe
    Waterproof
    Insulated
    Slip resistant

I researched and google said composite toe was better for keeping feet warm than steel toe. So, I think these boots should be good (correct me if I'm wrong please).

I don't plan on driving in these boots. I have tennis shoes for that.

As for circulation, I think I have poor feet circulation in general. Sometimes my foot will get a sharp pain at random times laying down, but it's different than your foot falling asleep. I'll have to rub my foot really fast to get the pain to stop. It's hard to explain. For reference though, I'm not overweight. I don't smoke either. And on the younger side.

So ok, lots of feedback which was really great of you guys, thanks!

I've come away with the conclusion that cotton is bad for winter warmth, yes? So it appears wool may be the way to go, or perhaps some of the other alternatives to cotton mentioned here.

a question though: one poster mentioned doubling up on socks. With my boots, and for some of these larger and Thicker sized socks mentioned in this thread, should I be doubling up on my socks?

or no?

I would like to have 60 pair of socks, so I can go a month without laundry and change my socks once a day. This would get pretty expensive if I were doubling up on the socks you Guys suggested?

Because I'm an OTR driver, it's not like I have access to a dryer all the time.

although perhaps in the winter I could do laundry every 2 weeks instead of every month?

Thoughts on doubling socks up on feet, or other socks suggestions? Thoughts on my winter boots? On foot/air circulation?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave124

Dave124 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Are your feet cold in the cab? The floor heat on my volvo is frustratingly hot, feet sweat like crazy, if I leave food on the floor it melts, etc (chocolate for example).

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    THIS IS VERY CONCERNING!!!!!!

What you are describing matches the description of blood clotting (Deep vein thrombosis or DVT).

You do NOT need to smoke, be overweight, or diabetic to get DVT's. There are VERY common genetic (inherited) deficiencies in several populations (such as Factor V Leiden) that lead to blood clots, especially in the legs. Those clots can plug up your leg veins, which is bad enough, but one of those clots to the heart or brain can instantly kill you.

How do I know this? My uncle dropped dead at age 42 in front of his 3 year old from throwing a clot. I limped into an emergency room with multiple bi-lateral embolisms in my lungs...... This stuff is serious.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go see a doctor for a referral.

Farmerbob1 and GhentSaintPeters Thank this.
  5. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Ok. This is scary.

I was going to see a doctor on the 15 or 16 of this month because of a hemorrhoid issue that's not clearing up, even with a prescribed hemorrhoid cream and preparation H.

I guess I need to ask the doctor about this issue as well. What I described happens mostly when my feet get cold, but sometimes not.

Now I'm worried. I hope it's nothing major. Between this and my hemorrhoids, I don't know what is happening to my health.

When I got my CDL med certificate my doc said my blood pressure was great and that I was real healthy. But this foot thing has been going on, I guess for a few years now? I never really laid it much attention.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    I don't want you to worry too much, if diagnosed, a little pill a day will take care of it. My life is normal in just about every way, but it did contribute to my decision to stop driving long haul runs.

7. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Raw garlic, raw onions and aspirin (salicylic acid) are all natural blood thinners. Just don't eat too much of any of them or it takes forever to stop bleeding. Riding a bicycle and walking (especially up and down hills) are great for leg circulation.

Oatmeal, salad, yogurt, Dave's Killer Bread (super seed or whole grain) and any kind of bean will get rid of those hemorrhoids. Your butthole is like a modern day girlfriend, if you push too hard it'll get bent out of shape. Being stressed out and/or not drinking enough water/ juice will also make that exit tough.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    Very true and helpful, but for someone with a genetic clotting deficiency like I have, those are 1's and 2's when you need medicine that's more like a 9 or a 10.

But I do eat lots of onions and garlic, as well.

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You should cancel that order on your boots. Then go in and try on cowboy boots. They are made better to match your foot. I can't wear a Tony Lama. I don't have a Tony Lama foot. But I definitely have a Justin foot. Idiot me didn't try Justin work boots for many years. Just got a pair. Probably the best work boot I have ever worn. Just because of the fit.
    They do a better job of fitting with cowboy boots. They put more into making them for fitting right. When you get it right. It's really right. And really comfortable.

EDIT: Anything country in clothes is always extremely comfortable.
    Did you know why cowboy boots have pointed toes? It's because horses will step on your toes to be mean. That gives them something to step on, but not your toe.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  10. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    On the socks. I grew up on the Gulf Coast. Winter is very wet. Any cold sinks in to the bone.
    Since growing up. I've lived in dry climates.
    I wonder just how much wool will help on the Gulf Coast in winter? Or any high humidity environment. I'm thinking alot?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Beware of Doctors. Number one is to make money. Taking care of you is secondary, at best.
    Pay attention to Doctor Bernstein. He's the authority on Diabetes. Says if you want to get better with Diabetes. Don't listen to your doctor.
    Start listening more to these natural healers and proactive treatment people. Dr. John Bergman on youtube. Dr. Carolyn Dean. There is much you can do on clogged arteries/ heart disease. Apple Cider vinegar is a knock out on clogged arteries. Fish oil... good fish oil helps a ton.

Did you realize there are cures all over the world for Cancer? Our "Doctors" don't want to do that because they don't make money. The cure is all the same. But done differently. It's simple. Detox the body. Boost the immune system. .... It works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.