What would cause a Jake Brake to not work ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SilverBulletBand, Nov 27, 2023.

1. SilverBulletBand

SilverBulletBand Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    2007 International 8600 with 10.8 Cummins ISM engine.

Cruise Control NOT working.

??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Jake break Solenoid.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. SilverBulletBand

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    Would that also cause the Cruise Control to go out as well ??

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Clutch pedal little loose therefore depressing clutch switch maybe? Same for brake pedal but that's easier to see it should light up your brake lights

6. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Definitely clutch switch or loose clutch pedal.while driving lift your pedal by placing your foot underneath it and try to set your cruise or engage the jake brake and you’ll know for sure

7. SilverBulletBand

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    Probably is.... I think.

The pedal had a good 2-3" of "PLAY" when I started driving this particular truck.

Was told by the shop that the clutch was SHOT.

I took up the play by adding a long screw with an adjustment nut. Put it through the hole that lined up with the clutch pedal linkage. I adjusted it to have about 1/2" of play. Actually worked out perfect. Nice clutch feel and action.

I didn't know about the clutch switch causing these issues. How much play should the clutch pedal have in it to still activate that switch ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Years ago, there were 3 controls for the engine brake. The dash switch, the one on the clutch pedal, and one on the throttle. Not sure how its done today. I think what you did for less play only delays the inevitable, you need a clutch.

9. SilverBulletBand

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    Actually needs a new transmission as well.

Does pushing in on the Clutch activate the switch that disengages the engine brake and cruise control ?

Perhaps I need to adjust that adjustment bolt I put in.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Usually you can hear a click sound when it either engages or disengages the switch when clutch pedal is either fully at the top or depressed a bit. If you really wanted to check you could hook the computer to it and see what ecm is seeing as far as clutch/brake/fuel pedal position sensors are telling the ecm. The switch itself could be bad. Also can look what the ecm is seeing as far as cruise on/off, if it detects when you push set, same for jake on/off. But considering they're both not working I'd be surprised if it's anything other than your pedal sensors.

11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    IF the clutch is shot and you added something to the clutch linkage that isn't supposed to be there then you created another issue. Simplest thing is to get the clutch replaced and undo the "creative re-engineering" that you did

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.