What would happen: DOT inspection with a leaking fuel tank

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by icemerg, Apr 22, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Jb weld will work.

I used it for a fuel switch on a motorcycle for 2 years and sold it without any leaks.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We have to carry the kiddie pools in our trucks at all times up north, and put it under the engine compartment any time you park for more than just a couple of minutes, just in case you might spring a leak.
    We call them duck ponds, mine has had a hole in it for several years, but it serves it's purpose. lol We also have to carry a spill kit, so we can dig up anything spilt on the ground or ice, including the coffee you just poured out of your cup if caught. lol

4. flightconn

flightconn Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2018
    JB Weld

5. flightconn

flightconn Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2018
    So, I was and was not joking about the JB weld..In the 70's I was a hang glider pilot living in Texas and we did our flying in Southeast OK. We would always take my car because it was a company car and I think at the time it only cost about 8 cents per mile to drive it fuel and ins included so it was a pretty cheap ride with 3 or 4 chipped in. One time traveling up a rocky dirt road I bottomed out and a rock punctured my fuel tank.

I was pretty much in a panic because I was picturing the bill I would receive for a tow truck going up a back hills road up a 1200 foot mountain. One of the guys got out and handed me a bar of soap. He was shaving pieces off of it and saying shove these in the hole. I thought he was nuts but I was desperate so I started doing so and within seconds some chemical reaction happened and I had a smooth Irish Spring green plug covering the hole. I turned around and got off the mountain as quickly as I could. The plug lasted about 50 miles then started leaking so I plugged it again, stopped at a town a few miles up the road and bought some JB weld and sandpaper. I shinned the tank up good with the sandpaper, covered it with JB Weld and drove it that way for a couple more years until i got new company car.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Truckermania Thanks this.
  6. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Bankrupt the company? Doubt it. Highly doubt it.

We had a brand new freightliner pulled into inspection in Truckee CA, fuel was leaking out of his tanks
    Truck was placed OOS. Company did not go bankrupt.

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You're new here... you'll learn. ;)

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Read the disclaimer at the bottom of X-1 Heavy's post.

mp4694330 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    OOS like I stated.

The company situation depends on the nature of the incident. I tend to consider worse case scenarios and work back to simple OOS.

peterd and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.