What would happen if you nicely told a customer "No can do"

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by The_vett, Nov 28, 2023.

1. The_vett

The_vett Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    I realize for many of you professional Drivers , waiting to be unloaded can be a time waster for you. I see where try to turn it around so if possible it can be time not wasted.
    It would seem to me, that the customer needs what you have in your trailer.
    What would the average receiver say or do , if when you arrive on schedule (a time they themselves picked) after you are told , sorry we won't get to it till morning (or w/e they say) if you simply said , I was given a time you asked for, and here I am. Iv'e done my job. I will need to leave within 2 hours,( I am being lenient i feel) I would like to leave you with what you had me deliver , but I will leave regardless. (put in your own words)

I just realized this is most likely for the O/O , otherwise you are paid to do what your company not the customer wants.
    The reason I thought of this is , I need every single thing I have delivered. Once in a great while , I will have to ask the Driver if he can wait ( for whatever reasons). That is a rare happening. And never for a day or night like I know is expected of you by some.
    I know if the driver told me , Im on a schedule, im here , but I can't wait. I would figure something out , so I could take delivery and the Driver would be on his way.

Albertaflatbed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    I charge the customer for delays after 2 hours so im usually pretty happy about not being out of there in time. When I hear about delays, it's music to my ears and I usually respond with, "take your time... I get paid by the hour."

4. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    When I was an owner operator you got 2 hours to offload from my time of arrival or scheduled arrival time.

After that I charged $150 per hour. Was gravy for me.

For receivers I didn't really like I had several whose rate was $250 per hour.

One client was at a mine site in Southern British Columbia was jerking me around with a load and I took it back down the mountain and had a boom truck offload it at a yard and left. The client lost their minds over that but I really didn't care, the were being difficult and I had had enough with them.

The bright side was the security guard had signed the paperwork for receipt of goods and eventually I was paid for the load and partially for the crane.

5. The_vett

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    Ok, So it seems if you are O/O then you do what you want. Would it be fair to say, that these customers know who is O/O , and who is a company Driver, and that they just might take advantage if they think they can get away with it? If so wouldn't the Trucking Company be responsible for how their employees are treated ?
    Thank You for answering. It boggles my mind that some of these customers have no idea of how to run a business. If they can't get a trailer emptied on the day they pick, how do they get anything done? Nothing is going to be perfect every time, but a little intelligence and common courtesy with respect is necessary.

6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If you have to wait until the next day then there will be a layover charge.
    Me being an independent, and especially if I have another load lined up, I will ask to speak to a dock supervisor and ask what it will take to get my truck unloaded. Cold hard cash works most of the time. I don't like to do it, but if it helps me get the load delivered so I don't miss out the the next load, then I will pay.

Albertaflatbed and The_vett Thank this.
  7. The_vett

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    I hear you and yes, you need to get moving. What a creep who is taking extra to do a job he is already getting paid to do.
    I was thinking disorganization, unethical, I should have guessed money. Thank You for your answer.

One of my nieces is going to College to become a Lawyer, I am going to suggest she specialize for Truck Drivers.
    She couldn't go wrong standing up for what is right.

Albertaflatbed Thanks this.
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes most of my delivery jobs I had thankfully were on an hourly rate, and for me any receiving warehouse that wanted to hold me up no problems, thats more in the pay check. Yep totally different story when your an O/O time is money, although when its all said and done it's not like you can do an extra 3 loads per day if they do get you unloaded quickly is it? One just has to accept the fact that unloading takes time, unfortunately not everyone has access to a drop and hook up job. Which would be the ideal set up. Guess its one way to learn the quality of patience and long suffering huh?

Albertaflatbed, The_vett and Iamoverit Thank this.
  9. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Drivers are told to communicate when they arrive at a shipper/receiver so dispatch can keep track of time. Smart drivers get paid by the hour to sit and wait as well.

Albertaflatbed and The_vett Thank this.
  10. The_vett

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    This is good to know. I am learning a lot. Thanks

Flat Earth Trucker and Iamoverit Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.