What would make you stay with a company?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MarketingManager, Jan 22, 2021.

1. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    No argument from me on that.
    That's the point, how do you compete with that.
    If you charge more you will have no work.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Well an actual message saying you are coming to repo the truck because you need it would be nice.

It is the reason I left my gig at Conway. I was on approved vacation chilling down on the beach and the repo man calls me lol.
    Had to pay the neighbor $50 to clean it out for me.

Went back they gave me a brand new automated truck. Put 20k on it hated it and left. (Made them come get that one to) same repo guy lololol I gave him a soda for the road after talking for abit.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The office people or recruiters should know how they dispatch the trucks. They should know the detail because I find that's were trucking companies play with the numbers.

My company says they dispatch at 50 MPH. Sound simple but when your working 14 hours a day and can't seem to keep up with dispatch something is wrong. You start asking questions and find all these little things don't match up. For example at 50MPH you should have 24 hours to drive 550 miles. Dispatch says that's not correct you should be able to drive more then 700 miles in 24 hours. Their is only 24 hours in a day. If they think 550 is not enough in 24 hours then they are dispatching faster then 50MPH. That's much faster then 50MPH that's actually 63MPH. You ask anyone in office they all say we dispatch at 50MPH and drivers are quitting because it to much pressure and dispatch can't figure out why loads are always late. Safety can't figure out why drivers are hitting things or speeding to make loads on time.

They can't figure out why they can't keep drivers. Do they even understand what are telling driver to do ? Some companies or recruiters probably don't even understand 50MPH dispatch is 550 miles in 24 hours.

tscottme and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  5. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    You can drive up to 14 hrs in a 24 hour period as long as you take a 10 after 11hrs driving.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That's how dispatch figured out 700 miles in 24 hours 14x50MPH is 700 miles. They figured no reason to stop or spend that 3 extra hours a day a driver has to do anything like eating or taking shower or bathroom. You just drive 11 hours take 10 off get up keep going.

7. nitrqm3

nitrqm3 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2021
    NorthEast
    The Things that make me stay in my current company:

1.The respect for the job we do
    2.The communication with the job
    3.The pay
    4.The benefits and retirement plans
    5.Monday thru Friday almost 3 days off

I can keep going and this is a example of why this company is good, my wife had an accident where she totaled the car they gave me two days off to keep and eyes on my wife they call to make sure she was ok and that everything was gonna be alright not to worry about the work my route is gonna be cover for those day. They call me to tell me not to take certain route cause theres traffic and problems that way. Pay you for everything you do extra for helping them.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Very well said!

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I am happy at the company I work for. Here's what they do to keep me happy.
    1. They keep their promises.
    2. They give me the authority to run safe and legal without any pushback or hint of coercion. If I stop because of weather conditions, even if it makes the load late, they graciously accept the delay. As a driver, I am 100% responsible for the safe and legal operation of me and my rig. I've heard too many stories of dispatchers trying to get drivers to run illegally, improperly or in an unsafe condition to get a load delivered on time. My company doesn't do that and it means a great deal to me. I'm not lazy or incompetent. However, my tolerance for driving in questionable conditions is pretty low. This is a dangerous occupation, I'm not going to unwisely risk my life for a load. Even if other drivers are trucking on and I stop, they do not question it and so far I have felt I haven't had any hint of retaliation for this. I still get decent loads and still treated well.
    3. Allow me to deviate from the preferred route if I feel justified. This is something that has developed over time I think. I was a cartographer in my previous life, so I'm pretty good at routing stuff. Sometimes I want a route, for reasons, that differs from my given route. I've always been able to make my case as to why the route I want is better, under the conditions I'm contending with, than the route they gave. As time has gone on, my need to make a case and justify it has decreased noticably. These days I usually just tell them the route I'm taking and they adjust the miles for me. I've show I'll take the most efficient and expeditious route to fit the conditions.
    3. They are always courteous, respectful and pleasant to work for and with.
    4. They let me run pretty much how I want to. I'm OTR and usually out for between 1 and 2 months between hometime. However, I do like a day off somewhat regularly. My basic tenet is that if I am running recap hours, I'm ready for a day off. Although I'll sometimes run 'extra' to get a load they need accomplished, they are decent at letting me take a day off regularly enough to keep me content.
    5. They pay me decent enough for the industry. The fact is OTR truckers simply DO NOT get paid enough for the sacrifices make to do this job. That is the whole industry, not a specific company. That said, for my experience (less than 2 years) I thing I'm paid decently in comparison.

Well, I could be even more verbose and go on. But, you asked why I'm happy with the company I work for and this is my answer. FYI, I work for the mega Swift!

10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.