What would most closely match my equipment preferances?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chris_karr, May 29, 2017.

1. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    In training I drove a Volvo VNL series truck, I hated the feeling sitting in and driving it, however, I loved the Pete 387, it made me feel more secured and more at home.

With this said, I have been looking at companies, quite a few that sound great, but i'm not only taking pay into consideration, but also equipment. Most of the companies I'm seeing have the Kenworth T680, Freightliner Cascadia, and/or the international Prostar+.

What would be most likely to closely resemble the feeling of the peterbilt 387? I'm not exactly sure what it is that gives me that better feeling, maybe the not so tall windshield? Front drop driver/passenger windows?

I know, this is an odd ball question... thank you for putting up with me, lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Find a small company very picky with drivers...theyll put you in whatever you want as long as you take good care of it. Pay you well too. Think Kaiser from Janesville wi as one example.

chris_karr Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Kenworth and Peterbilt are owned by the same company. Some models are virtually identical, for example t2000 and 387. The t680 and 579 are the same, although Peterbilt makes a set forward axle.

5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Kw T800 are what your looking for. Still produced, Lot of tanker and dump companies use them.
    Solid, well built work horse

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    T-800 is similar to a Pete 387. Not in my world! I agree the T-800 is a good if not great truck but its not at all similar to a 387.

chris_karr and slim shady Thank this.
  7. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Yep i was thinking 386s. 387 are your basic fleet truck, kinda of the ford Taurus of the automotive industry

chris_karr Thanks this.
  8. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm thinking what I like about the pete 387 most is that the windshield is slimmer height wise and the dash is higher. Has just the right about of visibility minus just over the passenger front panel, a good hood mirror fixes that though. You don't need those giant windshields that many of these other trucks have... It lets just enough light in but not too much.

9. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That 386 is nice, i liked that style, ut never sat in one.

10. Byx

Byx Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    The t680s are great. I loved mine. I love my current cascadia too. And danged if I didn't love my prostar and my 587. There are things to love about all of them.

Kenworth t680 had a great spot to put a microwave (I miss this more than any other feature)
    The Prostar had the best maneuverability in my opinion of any of the trucks I've driven. I felt like a virtuoso backing it up!
    The Cascadia is just very well designed (Aside from the cabinets) With a lot of nice extras (like air conditioned seats!)
    The 587 I had felt rock solid, everything. It didn't vibrate (My prostar rattled) Nothing in it felt cheap. I loved the caps on the fuel tanks (It had this little latch, it was super easy to use. No busted knuckles like I get with my cascadias tanks where the caps are angled inside a fairing with a tiny hole to put your hand and pump through.)

If you get a t680 (especially as a solo driver) the thing will feel like a rolling palace. Just be careful of how much junk you migrate in to it, cause it will hold a TON of stuff and you'll be crying if they move you into a smaller truck.

chris_karr and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Tha k you for your input! I'm glad they all have something to love. I haven't had time to step in and see a t680 yet, but as far as you can remember, did the dash sit up at a good level and not too low like the volvo? I disliked how low the dash in the volvo sat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.