What would you do if you can't do CDL job any longer, and you ain't young no more?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TallJoe, Jun 26, 2022.

1. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Step one of the merchant marine thing has been put into motion.....lol, renewed my expired TWIC today.

bentstrider83 and ncmickey Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    He's indeed fortunate then, because the liability to that Doctor is not one most DOT certified physicians are willing to shoulder.

4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot. There is a huge demand for heavy equipment operators at many rock/gravel/sand quarries. I saw a sign the other day $25/hr guaranteed 50 hours for a bucket loader.

I also have friends that are travel workers. They go from job to job lasting anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. Usually unloading flatbeds and doing some labor. I hear the pay is good. Anywhere from $25-35/hr plus a hefty perdiem $75-120/day

CAXPT Thanks this.
  5. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Unless you have actually done such performance, it's NOT what it appears to be. Few "Switcher Trucks" are worth the hassle AND some companies also use Day Cab or Full Sleeper 10 Wheel Trucks, so get out to Hook, and out again to disconnect, over and over......and they'll PUSH YOU to "speed up".
    I've driven some questionable switcher trucks at a Harris Teeter D.C. and the "quality equipment" WASN'T.
    However, if a person likes the steering control and wheels to WOBBLE above 20 mph, then give it a go.
    IF one likes the probability that the 5th wheel will collapse at ANY TIME, give it a go.
    IF one likes questionable Brakes, giddy up donkey.
    IF one prefers HEAT or A/C, forget-about-it, FULL BLAST in Summer or Winter doesn't help.
    Defrosters didn't. Wiper might. Vents help Boots. Some seats s-l-i-d-e, most stationary. Mirrors adjust by vibrations. Mirror controls not very effective. MANY WINDOWS. Some Sliding Doors slam open and closed, continuously, till Truck stops.
    IF one likes comfort, good luck.
    PLUS, on some new and old models, stuff sprinkles down (dusting) from the Inside Roof Insulation, which resembles a Coal Miner after 8-12 hours.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    It has little to do with a company's maintenance and everything to do with the lack of build quality. Ottawa, Capacity, it doesn't matter. That solid-mount single screw rattles everything apart within a week. The speakers will fail within 18 months. The door latch will fail every 6 months... and parts for spotters are even harder to acquire than for regular semitrucks.

We haven't found the solution in years of looking. We keep a spare truck around, and it is still used most days. our current 2022 spotters? One keeps breaking off railings, has no speakers left, broke off the mud flap hanger last week (not run over, just broke off from bouncing), and the door pops open a few times a day... while the other is back at the dealer (again) for a DEF Head. Its not in much better condition than the first. The backup is a 2019 that has permanent A/C failure (cant be fixed anymore without replacing every component), a patched-together dash wiring harness after it caught fire when it was 8 months old, no working speakers, door won't stay shut at all, splash guard brackets have broken off at least 10 times each side, and there are large areas of rust on the body. And that's just our local set here in town. The rest of the fleet (Kansas, Ohio, IN) reports the same issues.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.