What would you do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D.Tibbitt, Jul 11, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Wats the point?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its not about winning an argument , its about standing up for myself and defending my trip planning and putting the puzzle of a load together and seeing the big picture. The dispatcher only sees it from one angle they just want u there in time. But they arent the ones that have to find parking in the northeast with no time on their clock.. So i stand up for myself and defend my thinking and logic and look out for myself because they dont give a dam. Thats what its about . and more drivers need to develop a spine and stand up to dispatchers and customers and we might be treated more fairly out here

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    The point is you didn’t try. You may could have made it or maybe not. You didn’t say in your post if you asked if there was parking at the shipper or not. There may have been. Instead of trying to work with them to make everything work, you immediately decided it wouldn’t. I get and understand you would rather be at a truck stop, but this is the job. You sometimes get stuck at places where you don’t want to be. I think the bigger issue was you were tired and grouchy and didn’t want to do anything for the rest of the day. I also understand that, but that’s life as an employee. I’m not saying dispatch should have booked it for pickup that day, but I think you should have at least tried to get there.

Ruthless and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have gone off road to meet with ex a few times any time.

One suit usually stops what he is doing and reclined to have a ear on me and one of his dispatchers. What he does next literally and absolutely depends on the driver stomping up the yard office door steps.

This one was a little different. Had to man the C Train a Tower markets I hope the Elizabeth River slows them a while.

I happen to have wave files

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Understandable but im not parking on an off ramp or highway or at a customer for a load thats gonna be sitting all weekend anyways. The thing is going 700 miles. I been sitting since 11am yesterday. Why should i go out of my way and give up my parking spot and might no be able to find another one. Only so i could sit an extra day, i dont see the point.

TokyoJoe and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I wouldn’t park on a ramp either. But to be honest I would rather park at a shipper or receiver than a truck stop. But nevertheless you asked what I would do, and I would have made the effort to do what was asked.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm suggesting you say something like "I can be to ABC in X hours. If you want to know the 48 details that go into that ETA I've got thevrest of my life to explain.it." Drivers spend a lot of time alone. It's natural to think all if the details will be of interest to the dispatcher. But dispatchers don't have time for long stories. They assign or don't assign loads. You are not going to give a doispatcher a Norma Rae speech and change how she does her job. I'm suggesting you are wasting your time and her time telling her the details unless she asks to hear those details. When you mail a letter do you really want to hear from.the msilman about all of the difgiculties getting the thing from here to there? It feels good to you. I promise your dispatcher is tuning out after the second sentence. You are the professional driver. You tell her your ETA to ABC is X.

Have you explained these details and EVER heard a "wow, I didn't realize all of that. I'm glad you told me?" Good dispatchers will change appointments based on better info from the driver. Bad dispatchers, and it sounds like you may have one, don't change. There is a lot less hostility generated if you replace the 8 reasonscwhy something cannot happen with my ETA to ABC is X, and X always has a cushion. There are a lot of fired drivers with truth on their side. If your dispatcher is fighting you and explaining details isn't getting a change will more arguing get more change. Notice I didn't say accept impossible dispatches.

Bad dispatchers are going to put every answer in an Accept or Reject.box. I'm suggestingbthe answer is always "my ETA to ABC is X". It's never "no". Which answer will be reported as a refusal? Stand up for yourself, but don't set yourself on fire to make a point.

Humblepie and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I did not hear from my boss or the office lady for the last 2 weeks while i ran his truck with his fuel card. Not one call or text. Booked my own loads, did exactly what i wanted, didnt set an alarm clock, and made great money.

I didnt get this job by remaining a doormat at the last job.

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    10 4 boss that sounds like a great gig

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.