What would YOU want in a job in trucking?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chief2truck, Aug 26, 2021.

1. chief2truck

chief2truck Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2021
    Christmas parties? Events? What exactly would this look like for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    As a lease operator.

Tractor/trailer insurance at a discount over what i can get myself if plates and ifta are provided.

Good fuel card with discounts.

A shop that will do work at a discount over a dealer or the like.

Once a month truck washes paid by the company.

Paid washout and/or lumper as needed

Tire discount

No year/model restriction

ELD paid by company

Company paid prepass/tolls

A nice safe yard, gated ideally

Loaner vehicle if in diffrent state then i live in.

After hours accessable restroom in yard (you would be suprised how few have this)

Discount on truck supplies i.e filling coolant/oil bottles at shop.

Im pretty easy to please. Big thing for me is if you treat me like dirt then the positives (pay bennys ect) better outweigh the negitives by a massive amount or ill find somewhere else even if it pays a bit less. Upside to being an O/O is if i dont like something i can take my ball and go home and have a new gig in 24 hours.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Honesty. Never lie to your drivers. Ever. Good, bad, or indifferent, tell them the truth.
    Don't be an overbearing micromanaging boss but don't sugarcoat anything either. A lot of driver actions and attitudes are a result of how they're treated by management.
    A company usually gets the kind of drivers it deserves.
    Listen to your drivers. A lot of them have good ideas. If their ideas aren't right for you tell the driver and tell him why.
    Pay good wages and provide a decent benefit package. You'll attract a better class of drivers. If you're giving out things like a safety bonus or a longevity bonus make them attainable.
    Good equipment properly maintained goes without saying.
    Your office people don't have to kiss anybody's butt but they do have to be polite, civil, and remember that your drivers are human beings.
    One thing to remember...even with top pay, benefits, and equipment you're going to have a driver or two that is never happy no matter what you do. If you identify a driver like that and his work is decent, call him in and try to council him. Sometimes you can turn a guy around and wind up with a great employee. If he won't be happy with the job, and especially if he's causing unrest with the drivers, get rid of him. Honest suggestions and constructive criticism from a driver are fine but rabble rousing and running his mouth about how bad your place is to work will poison your company in no time at all. Don't hesitate to fire a trouble maker, a thief, or a liar.

6. chief2truck

chief2truck Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2021
    This is excellent - thank you!

REO6205 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d be content with that.

Don’t forget the lazy ###-es. Why should somebody else have to work harder because some prima donna won’t do HIS job?

8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Reliable equipment - wouldn't have to be new, just reliable.

Flexible home time. By that I mean when I get home, I stay home until I'm ready to work again. May be two days, may be five. Communication would be the key to make that work.

Minimum of $1200 a week gross pay along with a great insurance package for myself and the family. Health, eye, dental through an insurance company that actually pays out.

Paid vacation. One week right out of the gate and then two weeks after a year.

No cameras of any kind in the truck, no lane departure warning crap, no adaptive cruise control.

Open door policy to management. Meaning when you screw up, I can waltz into your office and participate in my favorite cardio activity, screaming. And that works both ways. When I screw up, I expect to be yelled at. But we get it over with and move on without any lingering, silent punishment. This is probably the most important for me, as I've witnessed first hand a driver screwing up and the boss intentionally starving him out of a job. Just be a man, say what needs said, and move on. Be upfront about everything that concerns the well being of the employees.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Learn what works for each individual driver.
    Some like to drive at night and some like to drive in the day.
    Some like 350 miles a day and some like 650 a day.
    Some like 3 weeks out and a week off and some like weekends off.
    When a driver needs to get home make sure they get home.
    Most of all make sure dispatch is not another obstacle to overcome.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Nobody should have to work harder on any continuing basis because somebody else is dragging his feet. At our place it was very noticeable if somebody was doing that. They figured getting paid by the hour was a license to steal. I'd usually warn them once, maybe twice, a written warning letter the next time and if it happened again they were fired.
    We never fired very many people but we wouldn't hesitate to fire somebody that was toxic to the whole operation.

11. JayaP

JayaP Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2021
    San antonio tx
    Example you get a driver and maybe has financial problems or anything, I feel a good company should set goals with that driver to help him grow in and out of work, if getting a little personal is allowed

12. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    That never bother me let him be lazy wouldn't be the first time I'm doing someone else job too but I better be paid accordingly or I'll be gone to

13. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some companies allow a driver to take a pet with them in the truck.
    Some have a breed and weight restriction and some don't.
    Some allow a cat, but most dont'.
    Some allow the driver to take their wife/husband as a rider or their child.
    I think Britton Transport allows the driver to take spouse and child at the same time.

• Truckers Report Jobs