What you brokers expecting with the elog mandate?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freightwipper, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    WTH!? I have never heard this! All of this....they claim...LOLOLOOLOLOL....is because some study showed that 26 lives will be saved!!!???? Anyone alive with any kind of brain has to realize that a number that tiny is impossible to even study....and how can any rule come of something so un-proveable!? Let alone all of these rules!? (specifically 14 hour and ELOG mandate). If I was in charge of the the "studies" I would be thoroughly embarrassed by that "finding". 2 decades of BS over MIGHT SAVE 26 PEOPLE!?

Other than I think all the rules are to protect company drivers....I really didn't have a lot to offer on this subject....until hearing that!

DSK333, HopeOverMope, misterG and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    With an 8 hour wait time, you can suspend the 14 by using SB. Unless you're in a day cab.

4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    And then work 10+ hours right after being up 8+ hours waiting to be loaded.
    Yeah that's safe, no fatigue possible!
    Thanks dot and hos.

Even with elogs in the truck it still can't be proven if the driver is actually sleeping while in the sleeper.

DSK333, Scott72 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    We will just get used to driving when it says we are allowed, rather than drive when awake sleep when tired and do your best to follow the rules but a little more today and a little less tomorrow can't have that anymore! The eld I don't think will do what it is designed to do, reduce fatigued driving. All it will do is force what appears to be compliance. You're still not allowed to drive tired. So are we changing how we define "tired"? According to the eld? According to officers opinion judging by your current state? If you crash or not? If I make it there but I am a zombie the whole way and had no hiccups was that the correct move or no?

Like I've said before.. I hope the whole system is thrown into complete chaos. If anyone can accomplish that it's government.

6. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Actually, this is the exact opposite of what my boss does. With his fleet of trucks. We own ALL of our trucks, none are less than 10 years old. All are pre-egr, pre-emission problems trucks. Several of them are now over 1M miles. With most of them being Mercedes powered. We have found that we have fewer problems with our trucks than those who run new completely fly by wire trucks.

However, only 3 of our trucks are OTR ready. The rest are about evenly split between straight trucks and day cab tractors who barely see regional service, still we average 300-500 miles per route per day.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    When I first started in 2002, it was a reefer with produce from California to Chicago produce market. It was pretty standard to run 1000 miles a day. You picked up in Salinas, CA on Friday 8 pm and they expected you to deliver it at the market on Monday at 4 am. Seldom, when you got there, you received a warm welcome. At some companies there, they told you to open the door and shut the f...up and wait till noon or afternoon, they treated your reefer as an extension to their cooler, pulling out pallets only as they sell them. I don't know how much changed there now. However, keeping the truck at the dock or by the fence as they don't have room for their staff may not have changed at all. They never seemed to care about this HOS staff.

8. elgato

elgato Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2017
    darn right

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Oh, don't worry. The driver facing camera mandate will fix that problem quickly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.