Whats of the point of being an owner-operator for .90 a mile.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mtetransportation, Jan 23, 2015.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    It cost $1.08 a mile to operate a truck

mtetransportation Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mtetransportation

mtetransportation Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    nashville tn
    I show most brokers and even direct customers no mercy these days. There is a few small outfits that did help us out when the times got real tough, so they still get a fair shake, but every 1 else we run spot market rates on every load, and have since 2008 when the times got tough. We had shippers and brokers ask us to all but pay them to let us haul thier freight in 2008-2010. Now, they get the same treatment and have for years. We do a bang on job, been in business many years, never had a cargo claim, have only had 2 accidents, both minor, drivers with the skill set to achieve that kind of record are available, but they don't come cheap.

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    a couple years ago my former dispatcher tried giving me a load & touted, it pay's a dollar a mile, this was really about 2-3 years ago. I told her.. a dollar a mile might sound good to you sitting on your chair just from using the phone, but not me. I left not long after.

5. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Great thread. I really want to buy a truck and become an owner operator. I haven't decided whether I'd want to lease on to a tanker company, or get my own truck and trailer and authority. I keep seeing all these adds for O/O's advertising from a low of $.90 to a high of $1.86. Even at $1.86 I can't see how it would be worth it. Also, is it just me or does it seem like the lower the rate, the newer a truck they want you to own? Oh, yes not a newbie, been driving safely thirteen years. Just tired of driving other people's junk and feeling like I'm no better off now than thirteen years ago when I started.

Adam

PS. I would become a fan of rap music before I would do a flease-purchase, you have to take your hats off to the Mega's though. They figured out how to underpay drivers and become truck dealers at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Maybe your truck costs $1.08 a mile. Double that and I'd still be in the red 15%

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I'll say, a 1.08 a mile covers my drivers wage and at this point fuel (barely) what about,

tolls, insurance, bonds, interest on truck/trailer payments, truck/trailer payments, replacement cost, breakdowns, workers comp., taxes, IRP, HUT, IFTA, tires, scheduled maintenance, Permits, office payroll, office overhead, straps, chains, equipment, tools, etc,etc.

Oh yeah, and at some point in there a bit of profit would be nice.

Highway_Executive and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Some of these guys will stick up for these carriers paying .90cpm + FSC too. Saying things like, "well they pay for my permits and tag, tolls and scale receipts." Who cares, that adds up to about what in a year, $3000? On 100,000 miles that's only .03, on 130,000 miles it dwindles to .02cpm. So .90cpm + .30cpm FSC, + .03cpm for some freebies is $1.23 per mile. But hey, at least they can sit at the counter in the truck stop and say that they are an owner operator. I think a rookie starting out with Werner makes more than these so called owner operators.

exhausted379 and SheepDog Thank this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    seriously?? Then you need to find something different to do.. I'm a lease guy with Schenider, and if I were running $2+ a mile, I'd be banking over $3k a week. As it is, I can bank $2k on $4-$4,200 a week.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Wow. So reinforce the image of a guy working hard for less and telling folks they don't know what they're doing. Great plan, stick with it.

kona911 and SheepDog Thank this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Hell I spend 3k a week on fuel lol

kona911, SheepDog and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.