What's Required Before Showing Up For The Class at MTI

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Sredwos, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jeepwj02

Jeepwj02 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I HIGHLY suggest learning to back a trailer before you attend MTI. Go rent a u-haul trailer for a day or 2 and practice and practice and practice even more......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swisschris62

swisschris62 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    whats happening jeep?
    all going well?
    are you enjoying it?
    ive been pulling trailers with heavy equipment most of my life ( smaller stuff: bobcats, smaller excavators and backhoes etc. ) and been squeezing these trailers into peoples backyards with neighbors looking on to make sure i wasnt running over their bushes or in some cases going over property lines ( why do people love to hate their neighbors?) so i am not really too worried about adding another 30 feet of trailer
    in fact a large trailer might even be easier then a small trailer (correct me if I am wrong here )
    i would think a small trailer would be less forgiving and get squirley on you quicker then a big one although i do see a whole lot more when im pulling a small flat bed versus a big box
    ill just have to get used to the weight increase and working the clutch
    but it doesnt intimidate me...just something new to get used to
    have you met some of the drivers and do you know who your trainer will be yet?
    do they try and hook you up with someone your going to be compatible with ...for instance if youve met some of the drivers and get along with someone ( and they happen to be a trainer) do they send you out with that person or is the pairing of trainer with trainee completely random?
    well jeep...thanks for keeping us posted and i hope your still enjoying it like you were in the beginning and still just excited about living life on the road
    if you havent hook yourself up with some of the creature comforts...laptop w/aircard, sirius, and maybe an invertor a fridge and a small microwave so you can save yourself some money and eat a whole lot healthier
    you take care and looking forward to hearing more about what your doing there and how things are going
    later

4. Sredwos

Sredwos Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Kentucky
    I wasn't going to comment but after I thought about it I decided I HAD to comment on this question you asked.

What makes your question any different from either of the questions you raked me over the coals for? It's the same type of question!

I could be mean and tell you the same thing you told me but I'm not going to. I merely wanted to point out the fact that YOU are also seeking information about Millis just like I am and therefore asked appropriate questions that you wanted the answer to. Yes, you could have called them and asked this question just as I could have called and asked. But, like me, you decided to use this great forum to your advantage and ask someone who has either 1) been there done that or 2) is a little farther along in the application/training process than yourself.

I just think it's ironic that you practically call me a retard for asking the type of questions I asked and then you turn around and ask one yourself.

Oh well, my rant is done. I decided to not let what you said to me bother me any longer. I just realized that all you were doing was trying to be a show boater. Some people like the "power" trip they get from putting other people down. So I hope the "high" you experienced from the comments you made to me were worth it.

And for an update for anyone who cares. I just got accepted to Millis today. Will be starting training in Cartersville, GA in April. I guess everyone should be in fear for their lives since swisschris62 apparently thinks my way of asking questions makes me an unsafe driver and incapable of driving from one side of the country to the other.

Have a great day!

5. Sredwos

Sredwos Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the tip. I think my uncle has a trailer I can use for some practice. I guess it's always better to be somewhat prepared before entering any type of class rather than just showing up on day 1 with no clue to what's going on.

6. swisschris62

swisschris62 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    hey you wishy washy little boy
    the other day you were taking your ball and calling it quits and going home
    now your back
    im really begining to wonder about you
    for starters let me explain the difference between my question on the forum and yours
    i am asking someone who is going through the process how they match you up with a trainer because they are going to tell me the truth
    if i was to call the company they would give me the standard company answer, "of course we try and find you a trainer your compatible with " and then when you get there youll find yourself in a truck with a guy who smokes 5 packs of camels a day when your a non smoker
    that would not be considered compatible now would it?
    on the other hand there are 2 phone numbers listed for this company and your asking a forum which of those two numbers you should call
    i merely suggested you work on your self confidence and pick up the phone
    nilke slogan comes to mind...."just do it"
    never did i say anything about you being retarded or that you werent a safe driver
    i did say that if your stumped over which phone number to call then driving from one coast to the other may be a bit challenging since youll come across way more then 2 choices along the way
    now it seems you have isues with not only your self confidence but also your self esteem since retarded is the first word that comes to your mind after reading my posts
    what you should have done is posted this in th esame thread as the other posts so that anyone reading could see what was really being said but you didnt want to do that for obvious reasons
    as for being on a power trip let me explain something to you ...
    straight out of high school i became a roadie for one of the biggest traveling bands from the 60's - the 90's
    after 3 years i became the lead roadie and was in charge of running 2 crews in 2 different cities
    i did this for nearly 15 years and then along came my family
    i then started my own company ( construction) and have been doing that ever since
    i have built everything from car washes, a city jail, airport hangars, college dormitories, loads of houses, just to name a few
    in each of these cases i have been in charge of coordinating numerous people to get these projects started and completed
    i hardly think i need to come to a forum and put down a little boy to get off on power
    i am a licensed skydive instructor and coach and been on many a team competing competetively in the sport and being point man on some of the teams
    i belong to a schutzhuind club and train my dogs and have competed with my dogs all over the united states and germany
    in 2004 one of my males placed 5th at the worlds although i was not the handler at the event for no other reason than at that level it gets somewhat political and it matters who you have handling the dog
    i also have 2 kids , a daughter in her 3rd year of college ( university of pa.) and a son in his 2nd year of college ( s.v.a. - school of visual arts, manhatten)
    i originally came here looking for an o.o. to hopefully take me out on the road and teach me the business and the tricks of the trade
    well it turns out it isnt like it once was out here and it isnt done like that any longer and the economy is also a big factor so after discussing it with my wife i am more then happy to drive for someone else and get a paycheck on fridays
    someday when you get a few more life experiences under your belt you may find out what running your own company means and trust me when i tell you that you dont get much sleep
    owning a company is a never ending job...its constant
    in my original post to you i also said that there are people that are willing to walk to the moon and back to put food on the table and here you are already wanting to know if you can go home after being away from there for 3 weeks and then wondering if a trainer can come by your house to pick you up
    i was merely suggesting you should do whatever it takes
    in your post you were saying how most of your life you have been in georgia and tennessee and that you really didnt want to have to drive up north or in ohio
    where do you think your going to be driving ?
    i have this feeling that millis spends ALOT of time driving through ohio
    you were sniveling how this isnt such a "good fit"
    if you dont see the difference between my question and yours then i cant help you
    calling a company and asking them if they send you out with a trainier your compatible with would be like calling a ford dealership and asking them if they build a good car...of course we do!
    your a whining sniveling baby and in the end itll all come out in the wash
    ever consider doing some military service if for no other reason then to grow up?
    im very happy for you that you have been accepted to training and i hope youll be given that perfect fit of a route when all is said and done
    i on the other hand wil also drive to training and i am hoping to go out right away with a trainer and get into my own truck as soon as possible and get this show on the road
    the last thing youll here me crying about is going home
    when i was a roadie we stayed out on the road 2 - 3 months at a time
    i dont even really plan on asking for much home time except in the case of family emergency and am hoping that i will end up with routes that have me passing through my area every so often which would be fine by me and if that meant being 5 - 6 weeks at a time so be it
    i understand everyone is different and has different circumstances but as a new driver and being low man on the totem pole youll have to be willing to accept something less then a perfect fit
    i wish you no harm or bad luck and never have but you choose to read into my posts and put all sorts of words into your head that i never said
    again good luck im your future endeavors and i hope for your sake it all turns out just the way you want it

7. Alabamaspirit

Alabamaspirit Light Load Member

I hate to say it,(o.k. maybe I don't) but, the both of you are in the same boat. Yes, I'm in the same boat, I don't know nothing. This is the place to learn and the only way you learn is to ask questions. If you don't like the question asked, then don't answer it. Now, on to the good stuff, congratulations to the both of you, good luck and let us know how it goes.

8. Jeepwj02

Jeepwj02 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Well sense you have experience backing with a trailer then your good to go. Reason I say practice before you get here is to get a basic understanding on how to turn that wheel to get that trailer to do something.

As far as the trainers go they basically pick them for you. Some will call in looking for a specific student. I have talked to my trainer and she seems pretty cool. She has an inverter with microwave and she has a APU on her truck as well which is a plus in my book !!!

9. Sredwos

Sredwos Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Kentucky
    I'm done discussing this with you. From this point forward simply do not reply to any questions I ask. If you don't know the answer then don't comment. Good luck in everything you do!

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Let's keep it to discussing topics, not taking personal shots at each other. It is not allowed on this forum! Attack the post, not the member!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.