Whats the Best CB Radio on the Market?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Siba, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Rinkopr

Rinkopr Bobtail Member

May 15, 2007
    I like the Ranger2950, but then again I am a gaget guy, and like to talk skip when it's out there.
    I agree with the echo. If guys would place just a tad, almost the same amount you hear when a base station...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pyro

Pyro Bobtail Member

May 4, 2007
    I have a cobra29 NW and was wondering is it woth having a little work done to it to make it more powerful or should I just replace it. Mind you I'm not into all that echo crap either or those beep noises and such I just want something that will send and recieve good

4. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    my oldest truckdriving son has a magnum nitro,has pretty blue lights and alot of power,costs him 450.00 in maine from a hobby dealer here,that really knows his stuff. nice new and used deals,also drives a small delivery truck locally for fed ex,gotta like him,hes like the rest of us. Son loves that radio,talks long,loud and tall,receives great also.

5. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    OK there is a coplete section on CB and radio in aonther part of this forum you might look at that has all kinds of info on radios. That beeing said I'll say this and leave it alone from there. If its not FCC TYPE accepted be prepaired to pay the price of a stiff fine from the FCC. They are cracking down hard on the illegal EXPORT 10 meter radios I.E. galaxy conex ranger and the like. If it has more than 40 channels and more than the legal out put as perscribed in part 95 of the FCC rules. My advise stick with a good cobra 29 or 148 if you want SSB and a good antenna system that is tuned properly for lowest SWR like 1:1.5 no more than 1:2.0 and you will be fine. Allot of people like the wilson antennas and the fire stick or such anntenas its a matter of choice but a good antenna system is the key to good radio set up.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I have used several, my favorite for the money is a Uniden 68, it is also small enough to fit up in the headliner of the Columbias that CRST is using now. The lighted face is amber instead of green, which I find less annoying. It has something like Sound Tracker, I think it works better, but that is my opinion.
    Pilot is running them on special this month, I'm thinking about picking one up.

My radios are all type accepted as CBs, i have a 148 gtl Cobra and a Galaxy 959, neither has the lighted face and neither will fit into that radio compartment in a Columbia. I also have a 23 channel SSB but haven't used it in awhile, it was type accepted as a CB when it was new in 1976.

One more thing, if you hate being awakened by alarms, and you get one with the weather channels, have it installed so you can unplug it. I have been told that alarm is annoying. If the weather is threatening, I set my truck radio to a weather channel and go to sleep, those computer generated voices are almost as good as an idling motor for putting me to sleep and that alarm will still awaken me, it's just not so shrill.

AJ

7. what is the antenna of choice for that cobra wx nw st ????? I'm drivin a 387 pete with dual antenna but think only one is for cb the other is for the tv and radio hook up

8. MXH

MXH Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Cobra Ultra III. Cost of $40-$50. It has at least a 2 miles range so you know what lane to be in during a traffic jam, and the shipper/recievers can let you know when it is your turn to get in a door.

Anything more than that is for CB junkies.

9. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I use the K40. It's one of the antennas designed for the WX channels and can handle 4000 watts if I ever go to a bigger radio.

LB

PS Pilot had the 3 ft. on sale for like $17 the other day. I have a 4ft already and can hear the tire shop near my house from 40 miles away!

10. the punisher

the punisher Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2007
    crossville, tn
    I had a Uniden PC66xl (now the 68PC)...worked great !!! around $100...now I have the Cobra 29 Classic, picked up for $80...got it tweaked and peaked, running a Wilson Trucker 2000 antenna. I drove away from exit 369 (at the CB shop where I got it and had it tweaked and peaked)..got down the road to the 350 exit and decided to check out it's range...switch to the CB shops channel and they said "loud and clear, at the bottom of the red"...that means for $80 (radio) $15 (tweaked and peaked) $50 (antenna) I got 20 miles "loud and clear."

The Cobra 29 Classic is a great all-around radio and can take the abuse of removing it from your truck all the time. If I spend $500 on a radio, I'll be pissed if I drop it..but for $80 I won't cry too long. It'll last you. My neighbor is a 25 year Own/Opp and he has the same set up, different antenna...Pilot stops will sell them or $80..a lot of others sell them up to $120.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.