Whats the best company to start with?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Harley007, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Mavrick3116

Mavrick3116 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm going to school in Dunn nc. Road masters driving school. I was told they do a job fair with Company's come in and talk to u about a job with them but then u have to choose witch one to go with. Just don't know who would be the best to start out with. So I'm asking for help so I will already know who I'm going with when it comes time for me to pick.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    R+L Carriers
    2630 E 5th St, Lumberton, NC 28358

Running linehaul

Chinatown and SHOJim Thank this.
  4. winkydude

winkydude Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2014
    I would recommend Millis Transport. Small classes (under 20) and lots of personal time with the instructor for training. Also their training program gets you in a truck in about 2 months with a trainer.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    NC is a great area with many good trucking jobs for new cdl grads.
    Keep in mind, some websites have "experience required" and if any of these I list have that, then the websites aren't up to date, so apply anyway.
    Are you over 21, 22, 23 yrs. old?
    Submit job applications during the first week of school. Some of the companies I list won't be mentioned in school, because the schools usually just push a few of the mega carriers. Nothing wrong with some mega's , but there's many more good outfits to look at before making a final decision. Submit many applications, as many as you like, then choose the best job offer.
    Abilene Motor Express
    Freymiller
    Magnum Ltd.
    Veriha Trucking
    Tyson Foods
    Navajo Express
    RWH Trucking
    Britton Transport
    Schuster
    J&R Schugel
    H.O. Wolding
    Carolina Cargo - for new cdl grads with serious felony records.

Pass this list around to your classmates.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What if you find something better than what the school pushes? Unless there's something in your school contract that has you must pick from what the school wants, ignore it. Who's paying for the school? If you're paying for it, then you choose where you want to work.

TB John Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I can hear the sales pitch now from some of those companies; "Make lots of money on Dollar General account." If it's so good, why can't they keep drivers on that account?

8. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    When I went to school ,so many years ago, 2 of the companies that sent recruiters were Arrow and Dick Simon. We all know how they turned out.:biggrin_25513:

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. nyfootballgiants1

nyfootballgiants1 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2015
    I got my CDL about 4 years ago. Long story short, life happens and I never was able to use it. Now I want to but I know full well with no experience, I might as well not have a CDL at all. I am not spending money I don't have on school I already completed. Are the companies like Schneider and the other big dogs that train new drivers also an option for me in my situation? I basically need the company provided training they give to new drivers looking to get their CDL so that I can get the job, I just don't need the actual CDL, I already have it, it's just currently useless. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You still in Orlando area?
    Do you have a current physical? If not, you'll need a physical to make you cdl usable. Don't get a physical yet though, until you talk to some companies. Some companies may pay for a new physical then hire you. Some companies will say, "Good you already have a cdl, now all you need is a current DOT physical."
    I think you may have several options, even though you don't have experience yet. Many companies don't go exactly by what's on their websites, so you have to just apply anyway, even if you don't think you qualify. Many drivers in your situation are "fast tracked" and get on the road soon, because they already have a cdl and don't need all that part of the classroom work.
    Abilene Motor Express - has refresher program and hires all over Florida.
    Titan Transfer - has refresher and also a cdl program.
    Cypress Truck Lines - Jacksonville
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com student program in Missouri.
    Southeastern Freight Lines - Orlando. This one I'd make a personal visit and ask about a "driver trainee" or "dock to driver" program. Also as about "final mile" driver option. Final mile is local/regional.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - terminals in Winterhaven & Miami. Has cdl program and refresher course.
    MCT Transportation - Sanford,FL and orientation is in Auburndale,FL. Maybe they have a refresher because they do hire new cdl grads. Apply and see what happens.
    Stevens Transport - trains in Tampa. Approved Tampa CDL Training Location:8501-B Sabal Industrial Blvd. || Tampa, FL 33619
    Prime Inc. - refresher in Missouri.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Food service programs:
    these companies might place you as a "driver helper" or "driver trainee" where you ride with an experienced driver until you qualify for first seat driver. Doesn't take long to be making $70K or better with food service companies.
    Reinhart Food Service - on the website and also their ads, they hire cdl school grads with less than 1 yr. experience, so seems you fit that description.
    Sygma Network - about the same as Reinhart. Sygma hauls for Sysco.
    McLane Food Service - same deal; driver helper to begin with.
    Non-traditional trucking jobs: delivering food carts to passenger airliners.
    Gate Gourmet - non union
    Sky Chefs Inc.- union

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Apply to any company you like, even if you don't think you qualify. Do the online apps then follow with a phone call. Southeastern, make a personal visit.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  11. nyfootballgiants1

nyfootballgiants1 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Wow, thank you that was extremely helpful! Yes right now I'm still near Orlando but I am moving to the Columbus, GA area very soon. Do you have any additional insight on that area?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.