Whats the best company to start with?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Harley007, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All those companies in Post #39 should be good in Columbus except the "non-traditional" jobs because you need to be near an international airport or major airport that has long flights. Southeastern may not have a terminal near there either. All the others should be good though.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) has something in Atlanta (Lithonia) and as far as I know you can take the truck home or park it at a safe location near home.
    Roehl Transport - hires in GA and has school in Conley,GA.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stevens Transport - I listed before, also trains in Columbus.
    Columbus, GA CDL Training Location:
    1018 Morris Rd | Columbus, GA 31906
    National Carriers - This company runs ads that if you have a cdl & graduated from cdl school, but have no experience, to contact them.
    National Carriers - hiring in Columbus, GA
    $57,000 - $60,000 a year
    CDL A. Ask about our Student Program if you have a CDL A, but not enough experience.
    No company is perfect for everyone. Any company that can be found will have a few drivers that gripe & complain. Just have to keep it in perspective as to why you're there; it's just temporary to get started until you find the niche that's right for you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's two National Carriers trucks. I think the livestock haulers are out of Texas.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stevens Transport and FFE (Frozen Food Express)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. nyfootballgiants1

nyfootballgiants1 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Exactly, well said! I hear and see all the griping and complaining. At 40 years old I came to realize a very long time ago to let that sort of stuff go in one ear and out the other. I know my reasons for getting into this and I realize that I have to do what I have to do to get the necessary experience. I have been in the RV business half my life, not so easy to find work in that field depending on the location you are in. Other jobs either don't pay good enough or and experience levels or qualifications that I do not possess and so I get turned down. What a vicious cycle life can be when we don't make the best choices in our younger years. Plus, even though I don't have commercial driving experience, I do have alot of miles under my belt as I used to transport RV's all over and I love being out on the road.
    Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get 12 mos. experience, then other opportunities will be available. Tanker jobs pay really well and the work is easy; hardest part is dragging a hose and hooking it up.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies have a guaranteed minimum weekly pay, where you can earn more, but not less. This company pays 2500 miles a week, whether you run them or not. That's the minimum miles you're paid for. You get paid for any miles over 2500 also. Several other companies do the same at various levels.
    Here's one example: K&B Transportation (hires in Georgia)
    New Driver Compensation Package Starting Tuesday, May 7, 2018 See recruiter for details!
    Seniority Bracket Existing Pay 5/7/18 New Pay Rate

0-6 Months .45 Mile .50 Mile
    6 mo to 1 Yr .46 Mile .51 Mile
    1 Yr to 2 Yrs .47 Mile .52 Mile
    2 Yrs to 5 Yrs .48 Mile .53 Mile
    5 Yrs + .49/50 Mile .54 Mile

Satisfaction Guaranteed!
    K&B Transportation takes a very unique approach with our company driver compensation. Not only do we offer our company drivers a top mileage pay, we also guarantee** our company drivers 2500 paid miles per week. Essentially, at K&B Transportation if you do not run 2500 miles in a given week, we will pay you the difference. This gives you the comfort of a solid weekly paycheck, week in and week out regardless of miles. No other carrier offers this type of stability to their drivers week in week out.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's another one that doesn't run Northeast and they'll hire you after 12 mos. experience:
    M.C. VanKampen
    [​IMG]

ChrisB1111 Thanks this.
  8. nyfootballgiants1

Jan 11, 2015
    You have a real wealth of knowledge my friend. Something tells me you've been around for a minute or two..haha. I sincerely appreciate all the info. It's great that you are always willing to help so many people out.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. nyfootballgiants1

Jan 11, 2015
    I just heard that it could be possible that my license could have been downgraded since my DOT medical card expired. I guess I need to check with the DMV and if that is the case I'm back to square one as if I never had a CDL. I was unaware that your license could be downgraded without anyone even informing you...

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As soon as you get a new physical and register it with the DMV, your cdl is good again. Make sure the doctor that does the physical is on the FMCSA registry.

11. nyfootballgiants1

Jan 11, 2015
    Perfect. As always, you're very helpful. Your answers have always been on point.
    All us "newbies" that you have helped ought to throw you a #### party to show appreciation for all the knowledge you share. People have alot of questions obviously, and it's very gracious of you to help the way you do. From myself and on behalf of all you have helped and will continue to help, thank you.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.