What's the best lubricant for ratchet binders?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by plentygood, Feb 4, 2012.

1. qtip

qtip Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2012
    calgary, ab
    Kl. 73. When done with your ratchets spray it on and wind them up, just like a shackle back it off a quarter turn and hang a chain over the free end so it doesn't unscrew itself. I've tried most of the stuff others have and putting them away right is the important part

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Oh excuse me" for using or recommending such inferior & primitive solutions. :biggrin_25514::biggrin_2559: just some humor, not being sarcastic. :biggrin_25525:

4. killroy

killroy Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Kenner, La.
    I like WD-40 only takes a second to squirt them as I am unscrewing them.
    It runs down the threads. Use it on the snap binders & 4" wenches And don't forget your 2" hand ratchets.
    Sure it does not last that long, but it's cheep easy to use. Tried lot's of stuff over the years an keep coming back to good old WD.

5. capfiremedic

capfiremedic Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Bay St. Louis, MS
    Cleaned them with PB, lubed them with white lithium... That was in a marine environment with heavy salt water exposure. (Using them on the deck of a boat in the Gulf of Mexico offshore oilfields)

6. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    white lithium grease spray, I always wind them all the way up before i put them back on the headache rack too

7. Lerbutt

Lerbutt Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Sylvan lake Alberta
    Fluid film works great

Truckin Juggalo Thanks this.
  8. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    Good stuff . . . thanks all!

9. Lerbutt

Lerbutt Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Sylvan lake Alberta
    What I do is clean them every few months open them and give them a soak in some varsol or ATF works well to but if you have a rubber handle wrap it in duct tape

10. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Zep45 is the best I have found so far. Free's up the stuck ones, and keeps the moving ones moving freely.

Martin

11. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I used that white grease. The oil in it dries up and leaves the clumpy waxy material - not good. So then I tried used engine oil. Oil - good, used - bad! Now the threads have all the sooty blackness and a lot of times I get black greasy marks on my arms and clothes. I really need to fill a pan with mineral oil and brush clean them all and start over. For now I use clean engine oil in a oiler can with a trigger and a flexible spout which works beautiful.

Don't forget the ratchet pivot pin and ball and spring and where the handle spins on the barrel.

I thought about trying graphite powder but then everything would be graphite gray instead of soot black.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.