What's the best way to acquire your first truck?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Cman301

Cman301 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Stories like that makes me glad that when I have a problem I call "1800 come fix your truck" !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Stories like that are rare.

Engine dont just launch themselves apart like that without a reason.

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  4. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Very rare.I looked at my records and the very last time i was ever on a ''hook'' was some 8 years ago and counting...It has alot to do with prevenative Main also..Alot of the O/O's still have a company mentality.Alot of O/O's have no business owning a truck too.

hawkjr and WitchingHour Thank this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    They are also the same o/o that a company will struggle with "Why are you not turning in BOL or logs?"

But I digress..

Back to you regularly scheduled program.

6. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Different strokes for different folks.I am not sure why anyone would want to be a ''slave'' to a company truck...IMO

7. dlrjr1970

dlrjr1970 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Commerce Ga.
    With only 8 months in the industry you are not even close to being ready to buy a truck. I agree with everyone who says get at least 5 years in before you take the plunge. And as far as a lease purchase goes, RUN away from that idea as quickly as possible. I personally have been trucking for 17 years as a company driver and am just now deciding to try my luck as an O/O and the thought terrifies me from time to time. I know guys who have made it and are doing well and I know others who have gone bankrupt. Most of the ones who went bankrupt decided to go the lease purchase route, none of the ones who made it did. As a matter of fact, everyone I know who did the lease purchase regretted making the decision to do so.

I myself am purchasing a used truck and paying cash for it. I also have experiance as a truck mechanic as well as a good friend who is Cat mechanic. Those two things alone I believe are of great value to an O/O, you have to know you equipment inside and out. Years of service in the industry is something else I have, how are you going to make it as an independent in an industry you don't understand. I have been doing homework for years, you have only been driving for 8 months. I have loved the industry and I have hated the industry but after 17 years I am still here, its in my blood, its a way of life not just a job. My decision to go O/O was because my kids are 18 and 20 and I now feel I can devote the time and effort it is going to require to make it as an O/O. You want the ability to modify your truck and are tired of your load managers crap. My advice is to stick with the company gig until you love what you do, then wait till you hate the sight of a stinking truck, then decide what to do! That or just get out now while the getting is good. Not trying to discourage you just speaking from the heart.

8. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I'm kind of evaluating whether to stay in the industry, like you suggested there at the end. It seems to me that the only way to make this into a real career is to go owner op, and do so as early as possible. This driving 60+ hours a week for 33 cpm thing is ok for now, but I don't want to still be doing it in 5 years (for maybe 38 cpm).

So I'm thinking I should either go owner-op or get out.

Lease op seems like a good bridge between the two, because I've got one foot in both worlds. Still got a company dispatcher getting me loads, and company paper shufflers keeping my licensing current (at the program I'm leaning toward they do that, anyway). But I'm learning to maintain my own tractor.

The trouble with it, as I see it, is that by lease end, I'll have paid way way more than the truck was ever worth. 4 years at
    bucks per week, 52 weeks in a year.... (pulling out calculator).... that's 102,816.00 bucks. Is that what trucks are worth new these days?

That's the numbers I found on the John Christener Trucking site. http://www.johnchristner.com/?r=drivercareers&drv=whyjct

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    In trucking, as with ANY business, you MIGHT be lucky to break even your first year or two but you'll likely lose money. Now, if you start with only a signature on a contract and insufficient funds to back yourself up how do you think that is likely to end? They don't say "the best way to make a million bucks in trucking is to start with $2 million" for nothing. Makes a sure 33cpm sound like easy money.

10. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Personally folks, it sounds like he has his mind made up. I wish the OP the best of luck, i really do, but with leases, the horror and slave stories are endless. If you do lease a truck, get a Hood like a Lonestar, 389, W900 etc.. Nothing burns me up more when I see someone leasing a "fleet spec'd" Cascadia, Prostar, Columbia, T-200 from the same company they're working for. But hey to each it's own.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'd think a hood would be the worst choice considering those guys live and die by the mpg's they are able to squeeze althought I guess if one is going to go down they ought to do it in style.

Container Hauler and WitchingHour Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.