What's the better job, mechanic or driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Nov 26, 2021.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Aircraft mechanic. You'll have to go to school or a formal apprenticeship but once you get that license you can just about write your own future.
    I'm not knocking trucking but I don't think I'd consider it as a career if I had other choices.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Those also seem to pay much higher than otr.

4. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would rather be a couch potato

okiedokie, Hazmat Cat, Badmon and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    being retired.

:D

Snow Hater, nredfor88 and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    More skill needed too. I loved riding in the truck in the bush far more than the highway. Way more excitement in the sticks.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  8. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

True.

And I honestly love dealing with the loggers, they are a good bunch.

9. ridin_rough

ridin_rough Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I spent 18 years wrenching and beating my body to death. I am volvo and cummins certified. I can do anything involved with repairing or rebuilding a truck and trailer. Including reefer units. I have mobile hvac certification which is required in order to work on reefers.... this is different from auto ac work.

I beat my body to the point that it takes a week to recover from doing an axle of brakes or a couple of u-joints.

I make significantly more money now with my single tractor-trailer running where ever I chose than I did working in the shop.... I was making $54/hr when I changed career paths. I don't work half as hard these days and make more money. I work on my truck 90% of the time...as long as my back and shoulders can handle it.

If I could do it all over again.... learn to wrench, get good at it and then buy a truck and lease it to Landstar or another carrier that has no company drivers and lets you do your own thing.

Speed_Drums, seagreg and Waterman_99 Thank this.
  10. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Buy a truck and lease it TO a company, not from it? Please elaborate.

11. ridin_rough

ridin_rough Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2021
    lease TO a company..... meaning that you are an owner and operator of your equipment. You sign an agreement (lease) with a carrier to exclusively haul freight under their operating authority. They retain a percentage of the revenue from the loads you haul. In return you get the benefits of the company.... fuel discounts, insurance discounts, etc. I am leased to Landstar. My company has an agreement with Landstar. I run their name and DOT number, use their load board, negotiate rates and other things. I am guaranteed to get paid for the loads I haul, get steep tire and fuel discounts as well as many other perks and benefits. Like cheap, good insurance.... I can't come close to beating the prices I get through them.

NEVER EVER..... did I mention NEVER do a lease purchase deal. You NEVER want the guy you are buying from to also control your income. You have zero leverage... they screw you over and you have no other options but to clean out their truck that you have agreed to pay all the bills on or smile and bend over to let them give it to you more.

Waterman_99 and wis bang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.