What's the deal with the extra space in long hauls?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by trucking.shine, Oct 25, 2017.

1. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Honestly, it depends. If I specify I need something there by a certain date and it's a tight time table, I really expect you to take it dedicated there - often times this is on a tight time table as it is. Now - if I don't give you a firm deadline, I generally don't care if you grab something on the way... so long as you don't show up at the shipper with something on your truck first.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah that's the main thing. Don't be ostentatious about it. We know it happens more or less all the time... But when we get an angry phone call from the customer it's annoying. Even though we both know that the customers shipping manager doesn't care either, but he got yelled at by sales because they live somewhere on the mossy hillsides of sugar candy mountain.

EDIT: And I'm as serious as a heart attack when I say that if I find out you partialled my load and were late to the delivery I'm going to fine you. You took my load first and I paid the vast majority of the money for the haul. If you can get something extra that's great... But you don't get to damage my customer to make a few extra bills. That's just a very classless thing to do.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    lilillill, Justrucking2 and PPDCT Thank this.
  4. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    This makes sense @PPDCT. You need to be sure that the time windows don't mess up your extra load. That's why I think is key not to deviate a lot from the primary load. Maybe something less than 100mi.

#truestory there @boredsocial. If someone gets yelled at in the chain, you'll certainly get that annoying phone call.
    Maybe try to screen better the Shippers / Brokers of those Partials or Light loads to verify that they have good facilities and are serious about their business.

5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Nobody is perfect you know? Every customer has major flaws and major positives. It's just the nature of the business. Eventually you just have to ask yourself if on the balance the money is worth the ########. I'm happy with the ones who brought me to the dance this year. We understand each other just fine.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If your an O/O its your choice i mean if it pays well why not utilize your space and get the xtra bucks, however you'd have to weight up is it worth all that extra driving around to drop off a few pallets.

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    That's why some gyys like to get loads that have some wiggle room on delivery dates. It gives them some time to play with. Some companies charge per skid on LTL type freight. Another thing to watch is that loads sometimes grow lol it can throw a screw into your plans really fast. Than everyone is mad. So use your head. Plus one last thing is that you need a driver that has a brain in his head too! Not someone who can barely keep it between the lines lol

Justrucking2 and trucking.shine Thank this.
  8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    There's this. I'm going to relate a fairly absurd story that's taking place in real time - one of my better customers has me book a load yesterday for this morning. He emails me at 0615 this morning to let me know they had one of their machines go down and that the load won't be ready until 10. I email the carrier this morning, and let them know. He calls me as soon as I settle into my desk at 0800, and relays that he's going to cough up an extra hundred and fifty on this load, because now the load won't be ready until noon. I contact my carrier, and send them an adjusted rate confirmation for the load reflecting the plussed up rate.

Usually, these guys are on the game, and have a carrier in and out in half an hour or less. No biggy, he did right by the carrier and we're all good.

I get a call back at one, "Hey, PPDCT, Your guy still isn't here yet." "Alright," I say, and I proceed to call up his dispatch. "Well, he's showing in the city of the dropoff location, let me call him." So she calls, and calls again.

I call my guy at 2, when she finally emails me that GPS is showing him at the shipper, and asks if I can have them look for the truck. My customer answers, laughing, "Yeah man, he's been trying to back into the dock for the last half hour, after he spent twenty minutes calling me on my cell phone to let me know he was lost in town. It's been that kind of day, bro."

So, no- nobody's perfect on any side, and #### happens all the way around.

9. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Hey guys! I've been talking to other Dispatcher and Drivers, and this issue of the empty space is not very clear. I mean, half of the people say they are OK with it, and they'll do it or have done it, and the other half says they'll never do it.
    The reason for the negative side was that is too risky for just a few extra bucks.
    But the thing is if you have 5" or 10" of empty space on average in a month, you could compensate for loads that are not paying right, or you could increase the profit of good paying loads.
    What would you say is the main reason not to do it?

10. W9onTime

W9onTime Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2017
    If the load is sealed or you can't work the second load easily into your schedule then pass , but I wouldn't show up to pick a second load without telling the second shipper I have a load on and confirming load weight and dimension

11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Can't speak to the drivers here, but I think we'd covered it earlier, from a broker's perspective.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.