whats the deal with those "ice road truckers" up in Alaska or wherever that is....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by somebody, Jan 8, 2013.

1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    The show is a scam. Just last week they cut a scene where they stated Alex (I think that's who it was) had been driving for 14 hours straight. That's ########!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I think anyone who watches the show believing that it gives an insight into being an actual truck driver is misleading themselves, to put it mildly. It is drama, mostly made up to me about stupid stuff that doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway. That said, I have enjoyed watching the show and the spin off about the world's deadliest roads. Enjoy several of the drivers, can't stand several of the others. This current season is an absolute complete bust. I watched the first episode and haven't bothered with any of the others. Seems the ongoing 'plot' of this season is about a idiotic, mean hot dog idiot driver trying to make malicious vengeance toward another company. Don't know how this got out of the concept room for an idea. You never know enough of the backstory to know if the vengeance is legitimate or imagined and with the character involved, it's probably imagined not legit. Then having a malicious theme about it. Just doesn't make sense how this made it to the show.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I should buy a IRT hat and wear it in a TS. Yeah that would be cool.

ClassB Thanks this.
  5. mrw896

mrw896 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    British Columbia
    I am not sure about the Qualcomm but in most of Canada the HOS is 13 hours driving, 14 hours total on duty/driving within a 16 hour window. When above a certain Latitude or Longitude (cant remember which) the hours increase. You can make good money running up north but the cost of living/expenses are very high. The services are few and far between and repairs take a very long time etc.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm wondering like Shipping Wars, why are they getting away with stuff like no seat belts? Shouldn't we see them getting tickets for that?

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I love it when it's minus 50 degrees and they're driving in tee shirts with the window down.

'olhand and ClassB Thank this.
  8. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Shipping wars cracks me up. That Jarret is a #######!

ClassB Thanks this.
  9. timtrucker1

timtrucker1 Bobtail Member

May 13, 2013
    what you see on this show is not as hard or dangerous as it seems on tv. it is more dangerous to deal with a Pennsylvania state trooper, or a Canadian custom agent at an entry point

jonboy29 Thanks this.
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's a reality show that tries to present it's something it's not. It had me fooled for the first couple of shows way back in the beginning then I started seeing little misstates being made that no one with any experience would do that. Kicking your tires for air is stupid but ok if you just checked them with a gauge maybe an hour or so ago. But kicking the front tire!!! Then these drivers bragging on how many hours they've been on the ice and showing the camera they are having a hard time shifting.

So I look for the misstates. It's fun and very entertaining knowing those actors can do so well. This season could only get better by the big pro Rich if he were to show up.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    That's the way I see it Gasman. From the very first time I watched it. Hmmm that ain't right. Lisa pulling a grade w/ Singles on one axle. That isn't going to work. Sure enough,spun out 1/2 way up. You can see the bullet coming a mile away.

Haul'n Logs at the start of a Winter.
    logger.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.