What's the deal ?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by blackf3504dr, May 25, 2008.

1. blackf3504dr

blackf3504dr Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Roehl's web site says they hire expeirenced drivers who have been off the road for a while. It says you may have to take a "refresher course" to get into a truck. Well, I e-mailed Roehl and explained I have been off the road since '01 with the exception of a couple of local gigs. I got a reply saying they required 12 months out of the last 36 months OTR expeirence ... What gives ? That's not any different than many other carriers ... I'm thinking of calling them Tuesday and see if I can get a straight answer . I was just wondering if someone here knew anything of this program .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dumpbucket

dumpbucket Bobtail Member

May 7, 2008
    Springfield, IL
    call them, ask for Dave. They hired me with no recent otr. I went flatbed so 2 days orientation, 2 days load securement and I was out in my truck by the end of the week.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    You've been gone from the OTR scene for 7 years. Insurance has really changed the industry and the requirements for reduced rates. While they have relaxed some. They still refuse to accept the fact, that many "local" drivers have plenty of OTR experience.

Too many new drivers coming into the field, and getting hired locally out of the gate. So they've tightened the restrictions.

I don't think it's fair or reasonable, that they don't count local or regional toward "experience". However you stated you done a couple of local gigs over the past 7 years, that alone does not provide a lot of detail. Trucking has changed A LOT for OTR drivers.

I wonder sometimes how it will effect any future job I may take. I'm listed as regional, even though I do occasionally do OTR for extended periods.

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  5. dumpbucket

dumpbucket Bobtail Member

May 7, 2008
    Springfield, IL
    I was away from otr for 3 years, been local all that time if that helps any

6. blackf3504dr

blackf3504dr Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Thanks for the quick responces guys ... I really do miss the road ( yeah, I know I'm a little wacked ) .Thanks dumpbucket I'll try contacting Dave. I wouldn't even mind having to take a refresher course but find it a little redundunt if I would have to go through a full training class just to get back in a truck ( I have 30+ years as a company driver and O/O ). danc694u, My local was a set route with a straight truck and then pulling a dump bucket . I do realize the industry is constantly changing and the insurance companies are running a big part of the show .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.