What's the stupidest thing you've ever had a dispatcher or office rat tell you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel_weasel, Aug 19, 2010.

1. FTB530

FTB530 Light Load Member

May 16, 2013
    NOR CAL
    I had been working for a company for about a year hauling building supplies,90% of the time i pulled a 26ft curtain van,on occasion we pulled a second trailer,average start time was around 3 am every day,so i show up ,and i have a second trailer flat deck loaded with particle board,so i do a walk around and i notice the trailer had been drug up to the loading area,about 200 yards through a gravel lot then about 40 yards on asphalt to the loading area,then i looked and the front axle tires were ground off to the cords,Who ever hooked up the trailer didn't connect the air lines. So i had to call warehouse boss at 3:10 am and tell him i need reloaded to another trailer or just unhook that one, he tells me go ahead and haul the load and they will put new tires on it when i get back to the yard,i told him i am not moving that trailer one foot,he says haul it or you are fired, i told him ok ,ill pick my check up in a couple days and i go home.About an hour later i get a call and he is telling me he saw the tires and reloaded to another trailer to come out and take the load,i told him EFFU you fired me, and i hung up on him,about 8 am i get a call from the owner of the company,i explained to him the problem,he says well the load was changed and ready to go.I tell him i don't work for you any more,BUT if you want to rehire me tomorrow i will haul the load because i am to pissed off right now to be driving a truck,i worked there for 8 more years and never once did that warehouse foreman second guess me when we had a problem that we had to call him about.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
    Dave 1960 and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    At 12:10 CST he sends a text to PU at Murphy Shipping and deliver it to Emirates by 1pm...
    Murphy is perhaps 4 miles from IAH. I am at near the corner of BW8 and 290. I am loading 8 pieces for SDV. The first piece is not yet on the trailer. I text back that it's not likely.
    He texts back you can do it.

Soon he calls. Still nothing ON the trailer, with 6 out where I can see them. He says so you don't think you can do this? Heck no ! Nothing is on the trailer yet. Well I guess we'll have to decline this load. DOH!

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yesterday received a load alert at 3:00 pm after waiting all day in nowheresville... with a hot load with decent mileage.... "MUST PICK UP TODAY, DON'T BE LATE!".... oh, and by the way, in the instructions section it notes that their shipping department will be closed by 11:00 am....

.... and this was the special bonus load for hauling all those little hops the last couple of days? :D

At least they quickly rescinded the load and gave us a better run after waiting another four hours.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    recently had this discussion with my boss:

pu is at 300 22nd in Greeley

is that 22nd st or ave?

um, just 22nd, what difference does it make?

well, 22nd ave runs n/s, 22nd st runs E/W, makes a big difference

um, guess it's 22nd ave

90 minutes later I called in...um, 300 22nd ave is a residence, on a street that there is no way in hell I'm going to make it onto let alone down with a sleeper and a 53' trailer, unless this trailer is gonna articulate

3 minutes goes by and he doesn't respond on the radio

by now I've figured it out that it's 22nd st, and making a valiant attempt to not get lost finding it

6 minutes goes by, did you call in?

yep, um, 22nd ave is a residence, I can't get to it.

well, my directions say it's 300 22nd ave, where are you?

on C st heading for 25th ave

why?

because, I'll bet you lunch it's 22nd st. not ave

<<silence>>

30 minutes later I pull up at the customer.....on 22nd st....duh

Gearjammin' Penguin and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You have all left out sales and/or load planners, which is a real stretch of the definition of planning. I had a run before a religious holiday, with 3 drops in Milwaukee, and one at Streamwood, IL, then on to Detroit and Cleveland the next day, and if the last wasn't off by sundown that day, it would have to come back or sit in Cleveland for 2 full days for that holiday.

Sales changed the load Sunday, I get there, the Milwaukee stops had been dropped and they added drops in Chicago instead, big problem, because no appointment was made for 2nd drop, so I ended up sitting north of Fulton Market for 8 hours, towards the end of which, sales got on the phone and started bullying the receiver. I get a nasty call from the receiver, during which I politely listened and then informed the caller of my predicament, and he relented a little saying I could pick up the paperwork and deliver it elsewhere, which I proceeded to do and then headed out of town. The thing is, they knew about the lack of appointment and did nothing. That part also falls on dispatch because they make the appointments, but I can understand why she waited after going to this place for a couple of years. Making an appointment for a load sitting there is like kicking at a rattlesnake, not something most people can do willingly. I lost the pay for 1 drop. I also got the pleasure of being dispatched by a broker while my company couldn't be in the office, too. That wasn't too unpleasant as it turns out, but only because I'm used to people dropping the ball.

No one like surprises in this business. I have had many, and I have succeeded in not letting most of them bother me too much

Dave 1960 Thanks this.
  7. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I'm good friends with a few drivers from another Hot Shot company. One was telling me of going up near Dallas and getting a call just about as he arrived that it was cancelled.

I'd almost have to kill over that kind of goofiness!

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  8. BLUE DEVIL

BLUE DEVIL Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Long Beach, California
    There is not enough room on this entire sitE for me to even begin to tell you about that. Good thing I knew better than to listen to them.....

9. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I was near Columbus, OH. I went to a warehouse to drop my empty and pick up a loaded trailer.I notice a flat on the trailer I am picking up. I see that 9 out of 10 lug nuts are loose and I can turn 2 studs with my fingers. I send a qcomm msg to breakdown dept. . He tells me to go to a truck stop . I repeat that the lug nuts are loose and I need a tire man to come to me. . He then tells me the truck stop is only 41 miles. "Can't you go 41 miles ? I tell him again that I need the tire man to come to me.
    So a little while later a teenager in a pu truck shows up and fixes my tire and tightens the studs and lug nuts. The bill was $ 50. If I had gone to a truck stop it woulda cost $ 31 . This idiot wanted me to risk killing someone and getting sued for millions to save $ 19 ..

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  10. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I was near Columbus, OH. I went to a warehouse to drop my empty and pick up a loaded trailer.I notice a flat on the trailer I am picking up. I see that 9 out of 10 lug nuts are loose and I can turn 2 studs with my fingers. I send a qcomm msg to breakdown dept. . He tells me to go to a truck stop . I repeat that the lug nuts are loose and I need a tire man to come to me. . He then tells me the truck stop is only 41 miles. "Can't you go 41 miles ? I tell him again that I need the tire man to come to me.
    So a little while later a teenager in a pu truck shows up and fixes my tire and tightens the studs and lug nuts. The bill was $ 50. If I had gone to a truck stop it woulda cost $ 31 . This idiot wanted me to risk killing someone and getting sued for millions to save $ 19 ..

11. the pope

the pope Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Orlando
    As I'm driving down the road

"Are you still hooked to your trailer?"

The sad part is I checked :(

striker and Lone Ranger 13 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.