Whats the worst or funniest story you have about taking your CDL test???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ontheboat, Jan 24, 2014.

1. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    not a testing issue but still a good story.......i got out of my trainers truck after passing my check ride with our head of training, who is also the owner, and got issued my first truck. i was so happy to be on my own i headed out. got to the interstate and went north insted of south bobtailing to get my first load. after about 18 miles figured out i went the wrong way. total of 50 miles to get to next exit and turn around to go by where i started.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. browndawg

browndawg Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Rock Island, IL
    i did not have to take any test as i purchased my cdl from George Ryan.LOL

4. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Yeah same kind of thing happened to me. I took my test in MA, did all maneuvers good, but on straight back I used 3 get outs. Stopped 6 inches short of the box. Failed. Looking back those rules seem pretty stupid. I know they use the old, what if it's a car or whatever back there. Well, in the real world, you goal as much as need, or want. Especially when it's close quarters.

5. OzzyOKC

OzzyOKC Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    Durant, OK
    After I finished my backing test my instructor said "That's the worst I've seen you do in 6 weeks, you passed" lol I could miss upto 11 points and I missed 6 points on the off set parking. Then proceeded to do a blindside parallel and only missed 1 point.

6. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    passed mine but the guy after me failed his on the air brake test. he forgot to chock the wheels.. automatic fail.

7. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    having been grandfathered in,i do not even recall taking a test.I feel inferior to you school trained folk all of a sudden and am questioning all that i thought i knew regarding the industry.but then i may have forgotten more than most will ever learn although i am sure i'll have to get back w/you on that as i am unable to recall what it was i thought i knew.

YES that makes me old.and crusty.and calloused.and forgetful.maybe even a tad ignorant-

I'll settle for antiquated.

heyns57 Thanks this.
  8. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    We were not required to chock the wheels when doing the air brake test in Iowa......is this something unique to Texas? Anybody know?

9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I did not know you were allowed to GOAL during a drivers test.....my school never mentioned that you could. I tested in Iowa about 3 years ago, and the examiner never mentioned I could GOAL during the test.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I had a problem with getting into the parking lot at the end of the driving test.....twice. I was driving a 9 speed, and we had trained on 10 speeds. Came to the stop sign to cross a frontage road to get into the parking lot, and I checked for traffic both ways....it was clear. I took off in 2nd gear and when I came to a stop in the parking lot, the examiner asked me if I saw that pickup truck. I said, "What pickup truck?". She said there was a pickup truck that had to slow down because I did not cross the intersection fast enough.....so she failed me for "impeding traffic"....
    So I come back the next day and I get to this same stop sign where it is 2 lanes and I am in the right lane, and a car comes up on my left side....as I am pulling out, she yells "stop"....so I do. She says I am in the right turn lane. Well, the lane is not marked as a turn lane!!! The car pulled out quickly, so I was never in any danger of hitting the car. She could not see that well from the passenger seat, as she was using the convex mirror to see my left side....I had used the right lane so any cars could get past me, as they could only go left or go straight from the left lane. I sure didn't want to impede any traffic!!!
    So I come back the next day for my third try.....and I get to this stop sign and I use the left lane, and I check for traffic for as far as human eye could see, and I use a little higher gear, 3rd gear, and I go thorugh the intersection without impeding traffic, and get my CDL!!!

The next year I go by that intersection, and guess what, they painted a right turn arrow on the right lane so people would know they could not go straight and use that lane to enter the parking lot.....well, better late than never for clear traffic instructions.

11. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    where i tested at it was. might be a specific thing for that location. it was somewhere around dallas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.