What's This Trailer Worth?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, Mar 19, 2018.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't even consider it.

stwik, DSK333 and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

X2

stwik, DSK333 and CharlieK Thank this.
  4. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I despise typing on my phone, so now that I'm at a computer... Run, don't walk, away from that one. Even if the welds were better, a trailer frame that has been repaired, especially there, you don't want it. The cross member is no big deal, but the main beam is. On a flat, look at the beam, exactly where that one was repaired. On a step deck, the same place, and around the step. Any repairs in those areas, move along.

Beyond repairs, all metals work harden, aluminum much faster than steel. Although its not always easy to spot, often you will see a slight difference in coloration/texture in those areas, and if you do... walk away.

Aluminum frames are heat treated/aged when they are built. Very few repair shops have the capabilities to do it. Its not a question of IF that repair will fail... Its a question of WHEN.

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Me too and thanks for the detailed explanation. I had a feeling it wasn't good. The trailer has no dump valve on it so that was a warning to me too. So those white areas that run perpendicular to the center frame are from the metal flexing or work hardening?

6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    This ICC bar looks like it was hit pretty hard to crinkle the end of the frame like that. Could it have also pushed it forward enough to make both rails not sit even anymore? They're asking 9k for this one. Just not sure how extensive that frame damage is or if it's not a big deal. What do you guys think?

edit.jpg

7. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I can't zoom in on the picture, and can't really see much. With that in mind, if the only damage to this trailer is the ICC bumper... maybe the last couple inches of the frame before the bumper? I'd buy that one in a heart beat over any of the others. The condition of the frame behind the rear axle/bag mount is meaningless. If the bumper isn't in danger of messing with your tires, run 'er like she is... or, throw a couple bucks to a local welding shop to put a respectable looking bumper on.

I'd buy a combo over an aluminum everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays...

DSK333 Thanks this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    The very end of the frame is rippled. The top of the ICC bar is attached to that. Looks like they may have slammed into a dock pretty hard. I'm glad to hear this one may be a viable option, thanks.

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Check around the kingpin area for damage.

CharlieK and DSK333 Thank this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Definitely, thanks.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I see what looks like damage from a dock retainer.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.