What's up with the poor quality of all these mega carrier cdl apprenticeships?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by mud-flap1999, May 3, 2024.

1. mud-flap1999

mud-flap1999 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2023
    At Schneider i was told i was driving better than most trainee"s but I couldn't back for #### and they didn't seem to be interested in training me. The program had a sink or swim mentality so I quit went home and learned the maneuvers with simulators on my laptop, now I get hired by roehl to get my cdl and the trainer there says I'm driving horrible and has nothing but negative things to say and has a nasty attitude.
    How ever i feel I'm not driving much worse or better than the other trainee in the truck who used to drive a rig years ago.

Although the training is detailed they are just extremely condescending and nit picking. He tells me i'm making turns too wide but I'm using the oncoming lane because roehls policy is you may not buttonhook turns... at schneider they said buttonhooking is often times safer because most drivers don't offer the space needed to borrow their lane. I don't even see how it's possible to turn too wide and also be a half length of a tractor into the oncoming lane.

I can name many other things but I don't wanna make this too long. I'm just dismayed by the lack of professionalism and consistency in this industry and the antisocial personalities of the people they employ as instructors. It makes me feel like having a cdl isn't even worth it.

Any insight or commentary is appreciated.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigSean416

BigSean416 Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2023
    Companies that hire student drivers are usually bottom of the barrel places with bottom of the barrel drivers and instructors.
    And I guess you haven't been in the Chicago area yet because you'll need to take all the room you can get when turning onto a residential street to get to an out of the way customer.

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I can't speak for Roehl, or Schneider, but @gentleroger can tell it like it is at Schneider.

mjd4277, mud-flap1999 and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Most of these Driver trainers are pretentious nobodies who possibly failed as an average trucker now feel they're no it alls. I wouldn't let them phase you regarding your driving skills.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    mud-flap1999 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    wow, simulator training on your laptop and is a pro???

:rolleyes:o_O

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Any community colleges in your area offer a CDL program? That’s the route I took and recommended if you can swing it financially. You may be able to secure funding for it through a work program or if you are a veteran.

If you just want some advice of options for getting the CDL let us know your general location. What your goal is in trucking and what type trailer you want to pull.

omaharj and mud-flap1999 Thank this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What is buttonhooking? This is the first time I've heard that term.

Also, don't let the nasty attitudes get to you. That's the industry in a nutshell. It's full grumpy, racist, tired, overworked, whiny, all of that. Majority of the industry is made of drivers that have at least 1 or all of those qualities. Just keep your head down, do whatever they want you to do, within reason, because they hold the switchblade. They can decide whether you pass or fail.

9. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Are you SERIOUS????? How long have you been trucking? What's your first language? Holy cow, now I've heard it all......FIVE years here, 12k posts, and has NEVER hear of a "buttonhook turn"?

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @bryan21384 - What is button-hooking? I've never heard of that.
    `
    Here's the definition, but how does that pertain to trucking?
    `
    A buttonhook is a tool used to facilitate the closing of buttoned shoes, gloves or other clothing. It consists of a hook fixed to a handle which may be simple or decorative as part of a dresser set or chatelaine. Sometimes they were given away as promotions with product advertising on the handle. To use, the … See more
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Bud A., hotrod1653, mjd4277 and 9 others Thank this.
  11. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    it's not a term used in my driving circle.

first heard on here.

CassND, Speedy356, Long FLD and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.