What's with these new POS drivecams installed in the trucks???

Discussion in 'Swift' started by truckerdave77, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Since the cameras are installed inside the truck, how can you record only outside audio?
    As far as I know there is no microphone installed outside the truck.

And I have had the new system for about 5k miles now. It is in my new truck.
    I have not gotten any more reported events than I did with the old system.
    There are two, by the way. I have been called about neither.

I also do not monitor the lights to see when it is recording something.
    I have more important things to monitor.

dptrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    The troops end up shooting eachother because the guns are backwards......the enemy didn't lift a finger.......

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Wow.
    Swift is a company geared to train inexperienced drivers. They do focus alot on safety and that is a major part of the camera system. Driving a loaded semi is quite a bit different than a 4 wheeler and requires different road behavior to be safe. The camera systems are about catching unsafe events and hopfully changing driver behavior to be safe in a semi.
    My have 0 points at present and the most I have had since the new system was installed is 2. My 'goal' is less than 25 points.
    I personally have no problems with the camera system and consider its ability to provide evidence that I was not in the wrong in the case of an accident reassuring. I also have my own camera system in the truck for similar reasons. Someone cuts in front of me and causes a wreck, I can prove it wasn't me. I'm still considering updating my system to one that has the two side mounted cameras too.
    IDK, I drank the kool-aid regarding safety many years ago and have been involved with safety stuff, OHSA requirements and inspections as a regular part of my job.
    To me, it's kind of simple, if the camera system is flagging you for stuff, you probably need to change your driving behavior. They typically don't call you in to talk with the safety guy if you are being safe. It's a starter company and trying to get drivers to be safe drivers, which had different parameters than being safe in a 4 wheeler.
    My priorities are 1. Being safe. 2. Being legal. 3. Getting the load there on time. But, I do not compromise Safety and Legal for a load. It is my butt in that truck and my driving record.

5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I drove for Swift twice in my 20 plus year driving career so I feel it relevant. Remember when Trainer James got fired from Swift because of drivecams ? Google it pretty funny. The trick to it is to simply fire any company that pulls this drive cam nonesense. There are 20 different companies that are more than happy to bring you on that don’t play that drivecam stupididty.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Holding drivers accountable for their driving habits isn't stupidity.
    And having cameras that can show exactly what happened isn't stupid either.

People rag on Swift for having so many accidents, and rag on them as they try to keep drivers safer and more accident free.

7. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    It’s stupidity on steroids with an extra helping of stupidity with some extra stupidity on top of the original stupidity. Learn how to drive then get on with a quality company that doesn’t specialize in stupid.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know, or care, about Swift. But these days anyone that drives without at least a forward facing camera in their truck is a fool.

ACO476, Roguefox and REO6205 Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I agree.

10. Driver#3141592

Driver#3141592 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2020
    I agree too. The biggest problems with Swift's cams are 1) they record audio and 2) they use the reflections in the windshield to spy on their drivers.

They constantly send out Qualcomm messages reminding drivers that they can see them in the reflection on the windshield and have terminated drivers for things they've seen. Great company [sarcasm].

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Those cameras exist for your safety and the safety of your Swift teammates driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.