What's your road kill score?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Apr 23, 2019.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Working your way up to a bus full of nuns and orphans?

25(2)+2 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    They used to call that "dusting", everybody would yack about it on the CB. The move over laws have hopefully eliminated that. Many years ago, I came up on an accident scene with what must've been about a bazillion cops there. They had a big truck on the shoulder, and all the cops were WAY out in the grass. Turns out that driver tried to "dust" some poor cop but sent him sailing instead...
    I'll never forget the sight of how far off the road those cops were looking for evidence...

On a lighter note, I was running down 81 once in the middle of the night, when WHAM!! Something hits my passenger side mirror, pushing everything against the right side window. Turns out it just folded the bracket in, nothing was broken. Had to be a good size bird though, maybe an owl? What else hunts in the dark? I've had hawks fly into me in daylight but at night?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Hmmmmmm.
    3 deer but only 1 with major damage.
    1 Turkey no damage.
    1 hawk that took out the center post and both windshields .
    Numerous birds and bats .
    1 coyote no damage.
    2 trash cans no damage.
    I quit counting the bugs .

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    1,985,652 monarch butterflies last year between San Antonio and Laredo....

3 birds and one lot lizard

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Doggoberr

Doggoberr Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2019
    After the thump several hours went by the co driver walks to the front window displaying a set of large deer ears still attached must of swung up onto the trailer bumper hanging there for the trip

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I see bats mentioned, as far as I know I have only ever hit one bat, and didn't know it until daylight. I had noticed something during the night flapping off my passenger mirror post, when it started getting daylight I could see it was a bat hung up on it.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In a paving outfit while dumping running down the driveway...

8 cable service wires. You see it coming up to be cut by your rig, do you stop and incur 4 hours physical labor costs or do you take the cable?

We took it. We never stopped. Im just happy we were never presented with a service drop that low when doing that. And yes we fixed or replaced cable relatively fast.

A thousand dollars worth of green curbing at the VA Clinic in Sayre NY. I noticed they did a rather bad job replacing the curbing on the right side of the entry. The other thing I noticed that it was really built up along that street over the years.

The shingles probably were replaced by now for sure. They would have been in the far half of the building near the front in the far end of the lot. Half of the building was not built yet nor was the pathway coming from the covered canopy to the right of the camera view in that corner of the property.

VA Clinic Sayre.jpg

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    One of our drivers ran over four dogs in a week. He felt pretty bad about it. One of them was small enough to get what was left of it stuck in between the drive tires.
    The mechanic putting four little dog stickers on his door and leaving him a note that his fifth kill would make him an ace didn't help much.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  10. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1 smelly skunk

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. WILLY.T.TRUCKER

WILLY.T.TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2019
    I have one horse who i barley even pissed off but tore my trucl all to hell and blackbird who destroyed my bug shield and that's all in 23 years

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.