Wheel Bearings / Tighten

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Michael 247, Jul 15, 2019.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    If you follow TMC RP618 on double nut for steer axle, it usually gets you right there on endplay. I like to set them between 0.001-0.002 endplay. Single nut pro-torque is hard to beat for setting endplay, and the hardened machined flat nut is nice. Pretty much everything I deal with anymore is Pre-set hub.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy2times

Freddy2times Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2019
    2 nuts = locknut and adjusting locknut.
    example procedure:
    1) tighten first locknut hand tight. (of course adding the rest of the components as well.
    2)tighten adjusting locknut too 200lbs/ft while rotating the wheel. (this sits the bearings properly on the spindle), back off (untighten) 1 full turn. then tighten too 50lbs/ft and back off 1/6 turn.
    **** you must rotate the wheel during this whole procedure****
    **** these are example specifications, but the procedure is the same for all.)
    as for 1 locknut, tange and cotter pin. you`ll only find that in the front (steering) and as for pro-torx juste look up the manufacturers procedures. very easy to find. just type ``pro-torx pdf``.

4. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    Thanks for all the info..i took it to a local shop and they replaced both sides and used the New style lock nut that has a snap ring ..The old bearings were pitted..

Working2party Thanks this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks for the update

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.