Wheelbase length on Dump truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sturgill, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Sturgill

Sturgill Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2020
    I posted this on the dump truck thread, but thought I may get a bigger audience on this thread. Getting a Triaxle dump this week. Have 4-5 to look at. My question is about the wheel base. They range from 250” for a 18’ box to 212” for 16-17’ foot box. Is there any issues with little longer W/B other than I might have make a few extra turns in a tight spot. I’ll be hauling Asphalt/gravel/sand. Leaning towards the Weaternstar with the 18’ box and Cummins engine. Thanks for any input!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't know the answer to your question. But do you do oversized/heavy haul at all?

I remember seeing a truck and he had, I THINK, Sturgill on the side of his truck, his CB name. Is over a year ago. Is that your CB handle?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ws will have a larger turning radius.

bluebob Thanks this.
  5. Sturgill

Sturgill Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2020
    That wouldn’t have been me, I’m just now getting into trucking. And my handle is gonna be .... Ironman...

baha and TravR1 Thank this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    A lot depends on what state you will be hauling in, most will give more gross wt. to a longer wheel base truck, plus if drive tandems are up under bed instead of all the way back on frame it will cut how much you will be able to haul, on test drive go to a `a scale and weigh each truck, that will tell you how much you can haul with wheel base fig. into how much you can haul, if you get 10 loads a day and can haul 1 ton more than other truck it can add up over each mo. or year??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.