When do you know it’s time to tune your truck?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gurjap, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I use Everclear...
    It won't freeze and in case of a remote breakdown I have something to keep me company.

buddyd157 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Do you happen to do regular oil samples on your units? I think if I remember right you change your oil early most of the time. Just wondering if you check to ensure it is worth doing that in the newer engines?

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i know it's apples to oranges, but i am on my 4th toyota, and they have oil change intervals at 10,000 miles. i am an "old school" mechanic by first career, and by golly, i'd never recommend any of my customers to go above 3,000 miles back in the day.

today's synthetics are really incredible to go such longer distances for sure, and i also believe in using top name brand filters as well.

Siinman Thanks this.
  5. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have leaned that way with my new truck. I went 40K on first oil change and they are set at 60K. I did an oil sample on that one and will do another oil sample at 80K and see how much of it has changed. If looks good will go to 60K like it shows I can. So will be interesting to see if it stays the same or better. I think it will be better this time since it is still breaking in.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Maybe I should but for me I know 100% everything is tip top doing it that early at 25k and it also allows time and opportunity to grease and do a full inspection. Not an official one but essentially the same thing. Keeps our uptime on point and our inspections mostly great. We have higher visibility being a haz carrier so DOT likes to check on us a bit more then average I’d say.

Siinman Thanks this.
  7. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I still grease mine at 15K like it says to but I am gonna see how well this works out. Of course my situation is different since I drive the truck and look it over everyday. I assume you have your own shop doing this and would not really save any money if that is the case other than oil cost.

I also added in the FR3 for the oil on this change to help keep the oil right. Will see if that helps at all or if it is not worth doing anything.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Its gas?

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Carburated too..lol. j/k
    Never heard a diesel service called a tune up.

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Flats yes. Sharps no.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Ok. Let's all debate over this instead of just doing a simple online search. Sorry, i can't do it but ya'll have fun.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.