When do you tax yourself?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tripp_84, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Been driving for almost 5 years and over the last 12 months i have been looking into doing something more independent and this forum helps a lot as well as youtube but what i cant understand is at what point are taxes considered or deducted? There are a million spreadsheets out there. I just got one from OOIDA site and its an awesome sheet breaking down everything but at no point are taxes mentioned.

If you pick up a load that pays $4,000, you deliver and they pay you. Do you set aside the taxes off of the 4k or are there expenses that aren't taxable you deduct first and then set taxes aside? In all the spreadsheet they have an entry for what you paid yourself. Most just pick 30k as an example. So are you paying taxes on the 30k or taxes on the 145k you grossed? I know its probably more complicated I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    I just saw there is a tax section. Sorry i am new to the site and just went strait to the ask an O/O section. I will re ask there

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am S-corp and on payroll; every quarter I withhold ( pay to IRS) between $2100-2400 and about 450 to the State - depending on the work load for that quarter but regardless of the revenue. Then when there is time to file, I go to my accountant where they calculate all the equipment depreciation and all other deductions resulting more often than not in a refund on a personal level - meaning that my withholding is more not necessary.

jamespmack, stillwurkin and Tripp_84 Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    As TallJoe said, I also file as an S-corp, as such, I'm an employee of the S-corp.

I use Quickbooks Pro with the payroll feature set up. I take the same salary every month. Quickbooks calculates the payroll tax related withholdings, including the companies required payroll taxes & contributions.

Once I cut the check, I open up the payroll liabilities section for taxes due in that given month and I pay it! I have an account set up online with both the State & the I.R.S. I get it out of the way pronto and at the end of each quarter, Quickbooks tabulates, reconciles and creates the quarterly forms for the State & the I.R.S. I print them out, sign them and send them in.

Easy as pie.

Bean Jr. and Tripp_84 Thank this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I'm a Sole Proprietor and i put 25-33 percent aside of every invoice then at the end of the year I figure out what I owe them. I also try to spend as much as I can back into my business to grow it while simultaneously reducing my tax bracket. I'm considering starting up a Corporation next year and transferring all assets to said business and leasing them all back to my Sole Proprietorship.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.