When I fill my tanks,my steers are over....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Romans6:23, Nov 26, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Where did you get that 40,000 lb. figure ? The almost impossible distribution of 80, 000 lbs required to be legal with a 5 axle rig is 12,000 lbs on the front axle and 34,000 lbs. on each of the tandems .
    One of my pet peeves is all these people complaining about 80,000 lb. trucks . Try to find one actually weighing that .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    rick, im not really sure where i heard that, and ill say that i never have used that as any type of rule....
    im thinking im mis-understanding what was said to me.... if i hear it again... ill post and let yas no what it was....
    my mistake!

4. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    In the past I have found that around 5 holes back or where the fifth wheel pivot is just in front of center between the tandems. Hauled a lot of 41-42k loads this way and steers were 11,800 on a Cascadia and 11,450 on a Classic. Use this as a guide, your truck could vary.:yes2557:

5. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Don't fill the tanks then, duh..........

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    But maybe he drives for one of those carriers that tells you where to buy fuel and how much . My carrier does that but they are only suggestions to me because I drive for an affiliate . I loaded Wednesday for a Monday delivery . They told me Wednesday where to buy the lowest price fuel Monday .

7. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Maybe 'cause that's the legal weight for steering axles pretty much everywhere. There are variables if you are hauling a permit load and have the right equipment but that's not going to help a guy running OTR with a heavy steer axle.

BAD ADVICE!

Tire ratings are one thing but...they don't supercede the legal axle weight regulations that they are looking for at a highway scale.

NO! This rating tells you what the factory maximums are not the legal maximums...There is a difference.

Shouldn't exceed your axle weights?

If the sliding fifth wheel does not resolve the issue then you get back there and move freight until your weights are right!

Why would you "get the truck looked at"? If you load it wrong, It's not broken, It's just loaded wrong!

It was 80,000 pounds last time I checked.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, But...
    Advice about this kind of thing should only be given by someone that knows for sure what they are talking about otherwise someone's gonna get a ticket for something that they could have easily resolved had they had the right information!

8. Romans6:23

Romans6:23 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Port Sanilac,Mi
    Yes, I do work for one of those companys that do require you to follow their planned fuel stops. As far as the comment that I shouldn't fill my tanks, of course that crossed my mind but I rather fix the problem with the moving of the fifth wheel than worrying about whether or not I put too much in my tanks.

Thank you to all that posted constructive ideas to this problem I encountered this week. It is much appreciated.

9. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    Check your RMMCRA for legal steer axle weight. Some states are 20,000 lbs, but with that said even in the high weight states if you get inspected and your axle rating is 14,000 and you weigh in at 15,000 you're getting a ticket.

At least twas what I was told.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You almost have it. One thing for sure is that if they listen to you they will not get a overweight ticket. Steers are 12,000 and 34,000 on tandems and 20,000 on singles. Gross not to exceed 80,000 lbs or 40 tons. check the side wall of the tire in question for the tire rating. Even if you have a steer axle rated at 20,000 if the hub, wheels and tires are not rated for that it goes down to the lowest rated item on your steer axle.

You really should make sure you at least have an idea of what your talking about before you set up another driver for a ticket. I know you have good intentions, but no one will care about that when there paying a ticket by the lb.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well, I hate to do this but I load out to 79,900 to 80,000 all the time. On 5 axles. If I don't have at least 79,500 I go back to get more. I can load 55,900 net.

When I was at IWX I loaded 79,000 on a regular basis also. In a 53 load the front lite and heavy toward the rear at least with a Columbia tractor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.