When mega CDL mills tell you to apply with Commercial Permit in hand...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Adieu, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    What exactly do they mean?

CDL-A General Knowledge test only? CDL-A General + Air Brake Endorsement test?

Or?

Figured I might as well go take it, but wondering which ones I should take

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Commercial Drivers License. Not permits.

Those are for Combination vehicle, Airbrake, general knowledge, vision, medical DOT card valid etc. (You probably will be sent to their company doc anyway for another DOT card...) And whatever else they require at the DMV.

If you do not have valid medical, swear out a tier two until you do resolve whatever medical issue and get a valid DOT card before you run tier one interstate and intrastate.

Gambosa Thanks this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    No its a new thing, cutting CLP (learner's permit/written test) costs out shortening the school duration

Apparently Knight requires it, some say it shaves a week off their schooling, and a few others say you can get it on your own time in the first week of instruction but they won't teach you...

2019-07-29 18.12.18.png

PS Of course the clickbait "somewhat hot country belle" in the bottom corner is an unmanned bot that only phishes for personal information for mailing lists and doesn't connect to human operators, ever.

5. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Take the general knowledge and Air brake knowledge test. In CA that get's you the CLP. Get your DOT medical ($50-$100) and keep the long form to take to school with you. You won't have to retake the medical again in the case of Swift.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. no wonder the industry so effed-up! keep on cutting corners why not just give him a set of effen keys and say here learn on your own we're about that close anyway..

Gambosa, FlaSwampRat and Tall Mike Thank this.
  7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Pretty much !!!!

They aren’t teaching them how to become successful truck drivers that’s for sure. Basically just a crash course on how to pass the test....

Gambosa and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I walk in road tested at a 3rd party test pad owned by a driving school, one of only 2 in the state that rented the truck/trailer to a walkin.

They had created lots of neat little sayings and doings that werent anything in the state manual at all, in order to have the $375 walkins fail in front of the $4000 full school drivers and reassure them school was a wise choice. I was tipped off by a trainer what these sayings were and passed my pretrip all 3x but examiner (employee of the school) kept finding a neat trick to crush my test pad game. Tell you to "get parallel" before 90 alley dock, but there was several lines not quite parallel to each other. Whichever one you got lined up on, was the wrong one so you used up points to reposition to the other during the maneuver. Id ask a specific question if this or that was permitted, hed say go ahead its your test. Youd do it then up goes the fist and he says no you cant do that. I called to reschedule 2 days after a 3rd point out and theyd closed the doors to walk-ins. Pretty fishy. I tested 3x in same POS truck. The seat bag had a pocket knife cut in it and every single time i said the seat wont go up he said that just happened this morning. I couldnt see over the dash at 6ft tall, dont ask me how girls passed. Lift butt off seat and its a GOAL. Driver mirror adjust is broke, and cracking the door to reposition is also a GOAL.

By gods grace i borrowed a truck n trailer from a sympathetic stranger my wife was treating and passed with ease at an honest 3rd party tester. It was a discouraging year with those con artists sucking up my money.

Gambosa, FlaSwampRat and Adieu Thank this.
  9. Gumboslef9384

Gumboslef9384 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2019
    TX
    He needs the combination vehicles test too. So thats 3 tests not 2

Gambosa, snowmantrucking101 and Adieu Thank this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Do I *need* the DOT medical, for just the permit?

Some sites say yay, dmv site implies nay... but it's the DMV it's all about being vague

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    crash being the carefully included word...

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.