When Safety Meetings go bad.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shackdaddy, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    While i know its not a contest i can beat that one. I had to take a last second day off to go to the ER because i got so sick i was literally hacking up and vomiting handfuls of blood (double pneumonia) and kept passing out at random after a hacking fit. Well while im at the ER they put a pro driver (one of those temp driver farms) in my truck. Well the guy wrecked the rig while i was sitting at the ER coughing uo blood i #### you not. I got blamed and was FORCED to do a full accident writeup, drug test manditory retraining and got a demerit on my record for wrecking the truck and held as AT fault for the wreck......because i was scheduled to work and according to safety moron i was responsible for the truck and its actions regardless if i was in the seat or not......

I dont miss that job....at all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Special stuff.

Did a short stint at a place where they would preach safety and then ignore every consideration that would make things safer for us, from crappy equipment and loading to literally insisting that we MUST use their safety gear that tore up trailers straps and tarps while causing impalement risks.

Nice enough manager, safety director was the last straw for me, claimed a few stats that were simply not true, called him on it, printed out the actual study he was misquoting that told him he was wrong, brought the pictures from my loads proving their policy was costing them money, his response "well, we're still doing it this way and you have to as well, its company policy now"

4. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Whenever there are layoffs in the oilfield, the “safety” guys are the first to go because even management knows they are worthless.

If a guy is a habitually dangerous driver, a canned speech from some clown trying to be authoritative about something they’ve never done before won’t help.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    A buddy of mine who works for my previous employer (I got him the job) said that after I left, they made it mandatory that you need to take pictures of the truck and trailer and submit them to safety on every pre-trip and post-trip inspection, regardless of weather and day or night. Told him I would have quit the day they requested that BS.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I always get a laugh when I see the news and they constantly report the so called “Truck driver shortage “!LOL

NavigatorWife and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    There were meetings on Friday morning at my last job. I did not go to many of them because of my start time. I didn’t get much out of them. The big boss would sometimes bring up recruitment /turnover issues. I wanted to to point out that paying overtime and having better benefits might solve them, but I kept my mouth shut. At least there were donuts.

NavigatorWife and Bakerman Thank this.
  8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    But, was the beer cold. That would be my main concern.

9. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    That company wasn't Swire by chance was it?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Cant have that, its on duty, to be fair, meeting with truckdrivers and the managerial class together with beer, THAT is a safety risk

11. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Nope

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.