When sliding tandems, why does air pressure have to be at 120+ before pulling red valve?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by expedite_it, Jun 21, 2021.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    How does the air unlock the tandem pins; by overcoming the (outward pushing) force of the springs and sucking the pins in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My Bad! Once you've sat there and pressurized the tanks, you can PULL the red knob to adjust tandems. Sorry for the confusion this created for you!

expedite_it Thanks this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Releasing the brakes means pushing in the red knob. This supplies air to the trailer and overcomes the spring brake tension that automatically applies the brakes when no air pressure is present. It kinda seems backwards, but most of us learned about this when getting our CDL. Mechanical spring brakes will apply the brakes when air pressure is removed from the trailer. This is to hopefully prevent the trailer from going anywhere when it's not hooked up to a tractor. To overcome these mechanical spring brakes, you supply air to the trailer and the air pressure will overcome the springs to release the brakes so the trailer tires can roll.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  5. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Why do signs at the end of scales at weigh stations say "release the brakes" then? Everyone already has their red knob pushed in when they pull onto the scale.

6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    It's a context thing. In the context of getting scaled, release the brake pedal (the red knob remains pushed in). In the context of sliding tandems, releasing the brakes means pushing the red knob in.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

I am unconcerned with if the tandem button is pushed or pulled in order to release the pins in the tandems, and there are a variety of ways the setup could be for the mechanics of how that works, what i was shooting for is you understanding why air in your red line caused you so much difficulty.

Part a is essentially the trailer ready to roll down the road
    Part b is trying to move the tandems

Ignore the details of the rest of the stuff youre getting caught up in, exact terminology push/pull doesnt matter so much

8. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    This is going to require a lot of focus no both of our parts for me to learn this. From your diagram, I cannot tell exactly why air in the red line caused me so much difficulty. BUt I am confident that you could still help me understand this.

One more thing: I agree that whether one pushes or pulls the tandem button to get the pins in does not matter. But I still have to know about what is going on with that tandem button to fully understand this. So pushed or pulled does not matter, but I have to know if the situation with the tandem button is whether the button is positioned in such a way as to get the tandem pins in or to get the tandem pins out.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  9. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    In your diagram A, is the airflow going TOWARDS the air tank? If so, where is that air coming from?

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You also do not need to know that

What you need is to be able to see if the pins on the rail have gone in and are no longer holding the tandems in place or not.

Procedure, hooked up to trailer fully ready to roll down the road, set all brakes, go push or pull pin, get back in cab, release tractor brakes rock it a little, walk back to tandems and see the pins are in, get in truck, slude forward or backward. Release trailer brakes, rock trailer back or forward with trolley arm pulled (brakes to trailer only (or re-set trailer brakes)) so the pins settle into position.

Go back to tandems and inspect to make sure pins are locked in place.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    How does your diagram show me how air in my red line caused me so much difficulty when I was trying to slide the tandems?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.