When to rebuild rear differentials 900K

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by terryt, Sep 22, 2019.

1. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Have been told by two shops that I'm living on borrowed time cause my diff's have 900K (2009) never been touched and I changed the oil this summer and the plugs had nothing on them after 300k on the oil. They both say they are wore out and need new bearings and put back in tolerances. But there nothing wrong with them have a hard time spending 5K on something that not broke. Do I have my head in the sand? Will spend the money if it needed don't want to break down out on the road.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No metal, no noise, no slack, and seals are not giving you trouble.keep on trucking. rearends has a lot to depend on who is mashing the go pedal.

I have a set that has nearly 1.5 mil on them that have not been touched.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    X2 2.3 mil and counting. Changed oil once, 850+ miles ago. Due for another change. Only changed 2 seals, bearings looked good. Drive right, never let them spin. Complete stop before locking in,or out. Only lock them in, when needed in a pot hole, or steep dock.Works for Me

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I see new and reman units break every day. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep checking your mag plugs and change you oil as you normally would.

Dino soar, bzinger, pushbroom and 2 others Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Change the oil normally otherwise leave the #### things alone.

My two on the tahoe has almost 300,000 on both of them. That is the next item on the shop list. Pull the caps and evaluate them for gearteeth loss and so on. Alot of it has to do with that fuel pedal. If you are gentle with it they will go to do well for you. If you abuse the car then they will rot on you really fast.

I also like my rears to be geared into the 3 range. mid to high. If it tops out at 90 oh well... I know I can load it up and it will take it without too much strain. Not in a hurry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.