When you know your hauling cheap.....

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by BAYOU, Jun 12, 2013.

1. BigJls1

BigJls1 Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2012

this year is really weird, We've had awesome pay out of pa going to anywhere tx and west...now this year it sucks, meanwhile OR used to be an armpit I got a 2$ mile from portland to tucson...used to be lucky to get 1.40. and even crazier scored a $2 out of ND to baltimore....wtf is up with the lanes this year. then I got down to south TX and could not get crap back to AZ, last year was getting almost 2.50 from houston to phx..friggin nothing even going that way last week....it makes it tough on us independents when there is no consistant area....hard to accept a rate nowadays!

MNdriver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Freight is doing very here at LS as well. I'm seeing really good rates, and even manage a legal load at $3 mile out of Houston. That's never happened for me, but then again all the snowbird drivers have left since its in the triple digits down there.

4. WheelMan55

WheelMan55 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah I doinh somewhat of the same right now hauling a load of brick paying $1.15 mile out of Colorado down to texas where I lined up a load 30miles away going home to vegas paying $2.50 mile I've been planning this home time for months now I'm not making anything on that brick but I'm not losing anything and my dead head went from 700 miles to less than 30miles to get my hometime load sometimes you have to take a cheepy to get to a better freight area

5. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    And it sucks and I do not want to do it but my point is, real life happens. I just make it very clear to the broker it is a one off event. What you do not want is to have the broker think "he will run cheap"

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Why tell the broker anything about your personal life.

Because as soon as you do, you loose that element of control. Your desire to get home now becomes his leverage to get a cheaper rate.

Same way with you phone number. Learn how to block caller id. Then they won't have a leg up on you when negotiating.

But......why bother sharing that insight...

The more you haul cheap freight, takes it have the market so I don't have to deal with it.

7. WheelMan55

WheelMan55 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah this is a one off for me and booked it with a broker I've never used before and most like never will again I don't like to run cheap my load going to denver paid me $3.00 mile after permits but couldn't get out for more than $1.15 a mile but such is life sometimes you have to put a cheapy on the trailer to get to the greener grass on the otherside of the hill I could havg stay where I was at and waited for something better but than I have down time and losing money because I'm ideling my truck to stay cool all weekend instead pick up a cheapy pays for my fuel that I'm using and I'm moving down the road breaking even to a load that's going to turn a decent profit or I could be in a truck stop wasting money /losing money from sitting I don't like cheap freight but sometimes it can help you to the greener pastures

8. rilla

rilla Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2010
    arcadia ca
    flatbed rate?

9. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    I, of course, did not tell the broker I needed to be in Los Angeles until after I booked the load.
    Yeah, certainly would not want to help anyone out with your experience.

10. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    It's called sarcasm. See enough of these foolish "stop haulingcheapfreight" topics and you begin to wonder if people bother trying to run a business or just like to complain.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    WOW... there is plenty of better paying freight in CO (especially Denver) going to TX than that brick.

If you ran for say $2.50 mile till you got to that crappy load, that 750 mile DH was only $400 in fuel. You should have had that no problem. You would keep more $$ in the lond run and less wear n tear on your truck. But like people have said, we all view things differently and operate differently. Maybe you have bills and HAVE to get some revenue?? Just figure you could Dh to vegas, grab a run down to Los Angeles and then mback to the house and wind up grossing the same amount in the end.

BigJls1, MNdriver and Rontonio Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.