When your done trucking what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nothereoften, Dec 3, 2018.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Best of luck with that. Hope it works like you want it.

Just an FYI. My uncle was living large on $6k a month. Then 2008 happened. He still managed $3k a month.

Then February of 2018 happened. His retirement lost $150k. Not sure what he makes now. But you can bet it’s not $3k

My moms account? They just threw up their hands and bailed. She refused the buyout at 65. 14 years later, they informed her she could take the buyout, or they would roll it into annuities for her. Those were her options. I’m guessing they thought she would die 13 years ago lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. elliott

elliott Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I seriously considered that. I looked at several states' police academies, talked to the recruiters, and even started an application with a couple of them, but I never went through with it; they all seem so fratty and I'm not a frat-boy type of guy, but I think experienced truckers would make good dot cops.

4. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018

Your way to old friend, they need to get them young so the brain wash works.

BigDog Trucker and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  5. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I've been working part time for the last 20 years . 54 years old now . I have a game plan for retirement - not there yet but working towards it . Could work more but like I said earlier , leave the money for the younger generation who really needs it.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In what way are you qualified to pass judgement on people who enjoy their trade, whatever that may be? o_O

homeskillet and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  7. Double T

Double T Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I retired last November after 42 years. Took the travel trailer down to Arizona for about 2 months and spent my time in multiple RV parks. Major waste of money but at least I was warm and dry. When I came back to Idaho in February I went to work for a cattle rancher who needed a good driver to move hay and cattle between Idaho and his cattle ranches in California. I drive when I want to most of the time and running with the agricultural exemptions from the HOS regs makes the job extremely enjoyable. I also do part-time driving for an energy company that is a support for gas well drilling. It's all by the hour and mostly regional and local. One thing that I am finding as a retired driver with a lot of experience and a clean MVR is most large companies are hesitant to hire older drivers. I think it has something to do with their insurance but smaller carriers and individuals that have class 8 trucks are extremely happy to find you if you have the experience and a clean driving record. They can't get things done because there just isn't enough drivers. Good luck with your retirement. I've been out of it for over a year and I can still can't quit doing it. I guess it was what I meant to do or I would have gotten out of it many years ago. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:)

8. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018

Wasn't planning on retirement, I'm only 42 I would if I could but would like a different career before I reach that day

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's what some our retired drivers do. We have two retired lowbed drivers who'll come in and drive pilot car when we need them.
    Some of the other guys will come in for a day or two if we get hammered with work or if somebody needs some time off.
    It works good for them and good for us too.
    The only downside is trying to find them during salmon season, or deer season, or trout season, or crab season....

Isafarmboy, Feedman and Nothereoften Thank this.
  10. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Ski season, biking season, camping season with a 4 season fifth wheel. Quadding season since sleds suck in dry and bikes suck in snow...etc etc?

REO6205 and Feedman Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.