Where are my veterans?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Feb 12, 2019.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    The time is coming when I will acquire my 2nd truck, so I'm starting to brainstorm about putting someone in this one.
    What i would like to have is a conversation on what some of my fellow vets would look for. I'm posting this here, because this truck is spec'd more for flats/steps, so I dont really want opinions from van drivers.

What kind of place would make you leave where you are currently? I know some people have no interest in owning a truck.
    Seems to me, % is the better route, as the more the truck makes, the more the driver makes.
    Obviously I would be looking at those with 3 yrs experience or greater, who are familiar with booking their own loads.

My thinking is something like 25%, and as long at the truck is over 6k a week(50 weeks a year) then I dont care if they are home every weekend.
    Other 2 weeks paid vacation.
    Clean, non smokers, dogs welcomed.

Y'alls thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hows 30% and you don't need to worry about the benefits. IF something breaks it's either the bad guys get it in court or workmans comp.

There is no such thing as vacation in trucking, I'll take it a week at a time wherever it suits me in the entire USA. That would have to stand in as a sort of vacation now and then.

I don't know anything about booking loads. Im one of those people who like to leave all that to dispatch or owner. I just require where to fetch and where to deliver and when. That's it.

And a rig that is ungoverned. Not for speeding but for being able to run the speed limit and stay out of the 61 mph herds that screw up tennessee so much.

IS that too much to ask? lol

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    25 percent is fine. The as long as truck is over 6k a week is what should be outlined better. If under will driver be penalized so to speak?

50 weeks a year sounds good except for breakdowns. What is the policy there?

I'm not looking for a job. I have worked drivers on percentage a long time and just asking the questions I have been asked and would ask

SAR, peterbilt_2005, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    25% and they have to book their own loads?

The co my truck is leased to pays 28% to their co drivers and has then home every weekend if they want.

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Personally, if a driver was a good fit, I could see doing going up to 30%. My truck is not governed. Everyone needs vacation. Most people arent like me(single, no kids). So I understand them being home more. If you are smart with booking loads, then you can maintain high revenue, and be home more.

x1Heavy and wore out Thank this.
  7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Of course not... but if it gets to be a person was home 3 or 4 days a week and only generating 4k that would be a problem all the time.
    It's a 2018, so not many breakdowns expected. But in that case I would take care of my driver too.

8. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    That's great, i bet they keep their drivers busy and happy. I could do see making that work.

I enjoy booking my own loads, it means I'm home or off exactly when I want to be. I go where I want, when I want.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I appreciate your responses. I am speaking as if I am looking for work but am strictly stay at home. for medical work.

What do you think about the old time concept of running say from end of Feb at the earlest all the way to approximately chain season or end of October and then parking and going home for the winter on a stack of tens of thousands of dollars saved?

You probably would have to either drive it or find a third driver for winter work

Good, bad? or just not acceptable?

10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would pay per mile and book loads for them. Drivers who prefer to be company drivers want a steady pay check. With percent pay they will forget all about the awesome summer paychecks when winter comes and rates are down. This will lead them to quit and go somewhere else. Then around spring time they will call you again. It’s best to keep them busy all the time and pay per mile so they know what to expect in their paycheck.

Then I would pay half their health insurance and that’s it. Since they only get paid when they work, the amount of time they take off is self regulated. When they want home time I’ll send them home and when they want to leave I’ll book them a load.

11. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    If I had a driver that wanted to run balls to the walls for 8-9 months, and then be off the rest and was still bringing in the 250-300k in revenue, I wouldn't care. I'd leave it up to him if he wanted someone else in the truck in those off months. Probably even give him a small % of what the truck made with the other driver running it. I'm not in this to make as much as I can off of anyone. My expectations consist of 3-5 trucks, and enough profit that I can work from home and go back to school. Get my business degree, and live. I've had so many problems with crappy employers, and dealing with my own issues(PTSD and such). I just want to make a company that takes care of other vets like some have taken care of me.
    Some companies have problems with meds, or dogs, or whatever else and I want to help others grow and move forward like I was able to. So if it takes 30 years to make a million in pure profit, I'm ok with that.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.