Where can I get these materials and questions about diabetes.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by socalborn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Lincoln, Nebraska for now
    For awhile I've been thinking of getting my CDL. I just about have the money saved to enroll myself at the locat JC and their course. I've also spoken with the professors, whom have put my mind at ease some. The only things that scare me are not being supplied with the information I need to get from one place to another safely and some operational issues. I've been looking online, but I've had some problems finding readily accessable information on things like bridge clearances, speed and weight limits, and the like. I guess I have to look state to state. Only there doesn't seem to be any method to the madness of finding it all. I think somebody here told me once that there is an atlas that has all that stuff listed in it. Anybody know of a name to it?

Also, what do you think of the new guidelines allowing insulin-dependent diabetics on the road. Within their stated limits, of course. Will it become easier to become a driver with the disease? I ask because my dad is, and grandfather was, diabetic. I need to lose weight, but I'm getting better at it and controlling my diet so that I can lose weight and control the sugar intake. At the present time, though, I'm not diabetic. I don't think I'm pre-diabetic, either. (I wasn't as of a year ago.) I just have some hesitancy issues due to this. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. paperboy

paperboy Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2006
    If You Don't Currently Take Insulin You Have Nothing To Worry About. The Dot Physical Is Nothing But A Blood Pressure Test, A Vision Test, And They Check For Color Blindness. Your Blood Pressure Has To Be Under 140/90. Check Your Blood Pressure At Your Local Drug Store For Free...and Lay Off The Nicotine, Coffee, Alcohol, And Excercise A Little If It's Borderline When You Check It. You Can Get A Truckers Atlas At A Truck Stop...eg. Flying J...or Pilot. It Has All The Bridge Clearances On It.

They Will Train You On All Of That In School....just Relax Man.

4. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    Not necessarily so,

1. The physical entails much more. First you fill out the forms and you must honestly answer the questions about your health. They will get 2 urine samples, One goes for drug analysis and the other for all the medical stuff they check with the urine. If any glucose shows up in your urine, you are off to do an A1C test. This will give them the average level of your blood sugar. If it more then an 8 (I believe) then you start playing games concerning your medical card. If you are insulin dependent than there are more issues, and they are complicated issues.

2. The Atlas your are looking for is called the Rand McNally Commercial Carriers Atlas.....or something like that

5. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Thanks. I had a DOT exam for my cab license and passed it. The guy probably wouldn't have told me, though, if I was pre-diabetic. The history of diabetes is what worries me. So far the signs of diabetes haven't hit me. I just didn't know how worried I should be and if I should expend the time if they're going to tell me to take a hike. I forget who posted the story online, maybe Cybergal, about the diabetes waver. I also read the link. It seems as if there's a lot discussion still.

6. johnny5

johnny5 Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I, too, am a diabetic. Type 2, non-insulin dependent; but, still have to take pills to keep numbers down. Could this prevent me from getting into trucking? I would hope not. I don't have a history of having diabetes related problems. Could this career path keep me from getting my meds when I need too? Thanks!

7. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I don't know. I thought that story read as though the powers-that-be are allowing, or are going to allow, exceptions for insulin-dependant drivers under certain stipulations. As you're not Type 2 insulin-dependant, I'd suppose you don't fall into that catagory. I think pills are OK. Also, you have to show you have no complications due to the diabetes. You don't have any. I don't have any, either.

I feel the problem is that dependants need the shot, which would take time to interpret your numbers and administer the shot itself. Also, knowing the clown my dad is, if you take too big of a shot, your sugars will bottom out. Then you eat some candy to balance the effects; and they shoot too high. Now, you're on a roller-coaster.

It's something I'd like to know more about myself. I just saw these items and had the questions pop up. My dad and grandpa are insulin-dependant. The doctors have more or less said that, short of an act of God, I'll become one, too. That's even if I'm lean and have a fantastically well-balanced diet. Diet's good, but I'm not so lean.

I'm pretty sure it was Cybergal who posted that. I should go through and try to find that post and story. That is actually my largest sticking point about becoming a trucker. I want to drive around and be active physically. If I have to be stuck in one spot, I'll go back to teaching, I guess. I can make the same money pretty much but for nine months of actual work. (Preparing lessons isn't work. You should already know your stuff.)

I found some helpful stuff on the American Diabetes Association's website. Check it out.

8. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The stuff on the diabetes waver was posted two weeks ago by Cybergal. Sorry I can't post it here, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it. It's there, though. Unfortunately, there are many stipulations. I suppose they're well-founded even though they are complex and numerous. Bottom line is that now you can drive interstate and be insulin-dependant diabetic.

They talk of having to go to an endocrinologist every three months as one of the details submitted. Maybe they should do urinalysis tests every week on other truckers, too. People need to be monitored to an extent with diabetes, but people that park their truck for their ten hours off, drink at strip clubs for five hours, and then drive in another five hours are more dangerous in my opinion. I picked a number of them up in my cab. When it comes to this, I see it as personal I guess. I've known many people that drive a car with diabetes and have been OK. They haven't passed out. If you drink and drive, you're a danger. Period.

Trucking is more stressful than normal driving, but I wouldn't think of driving my personal car in ten hours after boozing it up. I just feel there are other things that should be dealt with just as severely, if not more so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.