Where Can I Park For Home Time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Marine_Trucker_77, May 5, 2018.

1. Marine_Trucker_77

Marine_Trucker_77 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I'm a new driver (trainee) and I'm almost done with training. When I'm done I'll receive a company truck. I live 4 hours from the closest company terminal so parking and driving back and forth is out of the question. I Iive in Northern VA and was wondering if anyone knew of anyplace to park a truck for a 3 to 4 day home time? Also, the nearest truck stop is 48 miles south and is sketchy. Any and all info is appreciated. Smart ### comments are ignored. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Find an industrial park near your home that allows street parking and put it there. You might need to move it over a 4 day stay to avoid a ticket, but at least it's something to try. If you have to park with cargo in the trailer unhook and nose the front of your tractor in to the trailer doors so they can't be opened.

Marine_Trucker_77 Thanks this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    What does your company say?
    I would think this should have been asked before you got hired if commuting that far is an issue

stwik, driverdriver and misterG Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Any small trucking companies have yards in the area. They may agree to let you park there for some $$. Or try rv storage places.

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  6. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    What dptrucker said.

Ask your company FIRST. They may have options that are available.

Unless you are on a company offered lot, ask permission before you leave the truck for an extended period of time. Lest we get a my truck was towed thread from you as well.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Hey gunny with regards to parking, if its just bob- tail you could check your local laws i can't see why you couldn't actually park near your home provided your not taking up space like at a block of apartments, although i've seen plenty of drivers park near apartments but out on the road, you could also talk to your neighbors before hand just see if there bothered by it, can't see why they would be if its just bob - tail, also go down to local constabulary ( police station) and have a chat with them they'll soon fil you in on the local parking laws, in fact they may be impressed that you've sought their guidance and permission. I'd rather park as close to home as possible it means you don't have to drive as far and both your truck and car will be more secure. Hoorah

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    By northern do you mean the DC area or Winchester? Most people mean the DC area but I just want to make sure.

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Check with your company. They may have customers in your area that will allow you to leave your truck there.

10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA

Good point. Lots of places to park in Winchester.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm assuming the OP is talking about I 95. Once you get north of Richmond parking starts to get dicey. I just want to make sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.