Where can I park my semi truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fb2018, Jul 9, 2011.

1. fb2018

fb2018 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello everyone. I need some help. I have been offered driving positions with several different company's. I worried about where I can park my rig when I'm in my off time at home. I can bring the tractor home but not the trailer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    do they requier you to take a trailer home...?

in 7 years with usx we have never had to take a trailer home

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    So you're finding out what is probably the biggest headache for truck drivers, IE, where do I park this beast ? Won't quite fit in McD's parking lot, right ? Just wait until you are starving to death one day while cruising thru a strange town and see a fast food sign, oh yummy you think, burger and fries will really hit the spot. But, my friend, it's not to be. You see, while there is a nice burger joint, even smelling the burgers cooking, there's no place to park your truck ! Not before it, not at it, not even past it. This is the few times you'll see a grown man cry. Believe me.

OK, so now to your ? about where to park while at home. Not in your driveway, right ? How about the street in front ? Or around the corner ? Or, at the abandoned K-Mart in town ? Or, a storage place ? A repair shop that you bribe the owner ? A tow yard? You get my point, you will have to be creative.

5. fb2018

fb2018 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for your advise. I'm not sure if I'll have to bring the trailer home. I'm going to work for Roehl as a flatbed driver as long as I make it through their training program. I drove twenty years ago but things sure have changed.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Check Craigslist in your area. Someone is offering a lighted fenced in area with outside water and power and paved space for 20 vehicles for 225 a month. I think that is cheap.

7. Ranger70

Ranger70 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Joliet Il
    I used to park at a store lot buy my house, always had the managers permission and always called and at the least left a message with her to let her know I would be buy on a certain day. There were other trucks in the lot to and as long as we kept them near the back never was a problem. On a side note the store was your Wallmart K-Mart type so when I was leaving again I always got what I needed there and tried to find the manager to say thanks. It is amazing what some common courtesy and a smile will get you. Where you are at you should not have a hard time finding a place to park. If you can not leave it by your house.

Badmon, 91B20H8, firemedic2816 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Swiftey

Swiftey Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    walmart, they let you use their parking lots, just stay away from target, they chase u away with brooms.

9. T|2uck3r

T|2uck3r Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    55 Zone
    Cheap?? no its lil too much, i pay 100 a month and for the same thing. I can park near my walmart i see trucks parked all the time but since im own a truck anything can happen over there, people steal anything: batteries, LED lights, fuel, chrome stuff, even the side fairings.. Its crazy world we live in..

So i'd better pay 100 monthly and be safe then regret later worth much more :biggrin_25513:

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Does your company have a lot available. I park my truck at a rent a lot that MBR pays for. I can park my car there while I'm gone.

Stevens rented a lot for us in the EPT area for time off.

11. justin8842

justin8842 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Waterloo iowa
    if you live near a truck stop you can drop the trailer there or like an abandon building and call the local police and tell them the trailer is there so they can watch it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.