Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by copperdome, Jan 17, 2020.

1. copperdome

copperdome Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Relevant was not the proper choice of words. I meant constructive. In order for the criticism to be constructive, it must be based on the facts. I didn’t leave the dumper in the air, and I’m not willing to be dishonest and say I did something I didn’t over a non-existent emergency.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Are you still driving for the same company that you had the tarping problem with?

copperdome Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What I put in bold is right from your words. I'm not saying you were wrong to leave. I would have done so as well. I'm on your side here. My point is why inflame the issue when it's better to just come up with a BS reason to leave and go cool off. Right or wrong, words said in anger have a tendency some times to boomerang back at you square in the teeth. I applaud your moral stance on telling the truth. In this situation, you left a ticking time bomb and it went off.

About a year ago I was helping a guy get on with a Richmond Virginia based carrier. This was after almost engaging in a fistfight with a shop manager his then carrier used. based on my information the shop manager was in the wrong. Instead of just leaving this guy started bad-mouthing the shop, made some disrespectful comments about the girl in the office, then promptly was called by his boss and fired. I have tried to counsel this person about their anger issues. Hopefully, they will not lose this job.

In your case, while you might not want to admit it, you set somebody off and they no longer wanted to deal with you. Hey, a few years before I retired I had a young smartarse on a dock to remove my trailer brake air before I could disengage the system so he could place a lock on the gladhand. I got out of my truck and told that guy if he ever puts his hands on my truck again I would bury my fist down his throat! I was hot and had a legit reason to be. Yes, I got called by the account manager that handled that account. The conversation was pleasant, and after a few days of cooling off, I apologized to this account manager. There are times in almost every occupation when you get angry. If you need to cool off go cool off. I don't consider it to be dishonest to disengage from a situation by coming up with a BS reason. I'm done, I do wish the best of luck going forward, oh and you were NOT wrong to get angry!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Does the new dozer operator screw everybody over
    By not digging the hole deep enough or just you.
    Seems to me all the drivers that unload there
    Should have been complaining about him.
    Not just you.

Hotplate and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I was also thinking that same thing. This was why I said it's better to go cool off. It could be that many other drivers are angry. It might also be the case this actually happened but another driver did it. This sounds like a bad problem way beyond the OPs actions.

7. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    When you're using a trailer dump like the OP, keeping the area below the dump cleaned out is critical.
    If you don't keep it cleaned out, the trucks are delayed, start backing up in the waiting area, and everything slows way down.
    One of the first things the guy on dump duty is told is to keep the material from piling up under the dump.
    If the dumper guy was slacking off with everybody the results would be noticed...and corrected...right away.
    I think the OP and the dump guy need to have a talk and settle this.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    He said it to 30 to 45 minutes longer to unload.
    If that's every truck, then the dozer operators boss
    Should have been on his ### long before the truck
    Drivers did.
    That's a couple loads short every day.

copperdome Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I can see both sides of this. Sometimes, especially on night shift, the guy on the dozer...or FEL or whatever they're using...also has to feed the plant, build stockpiles, and keep the dump area cleaned up. Sometimes you run your butt off just trying to keep up. Keeping the plant fed is key but the other jobs have to be done too.
    I'm not there so I don't know for sure but I've done that kind of hauling and I know how it works.
    I don't see any problems with the OP's plant that can't be worked out if everybody will communicate with each other.
    Having a boss that's scared to death of losing a haul isn't any picnic for the employees but it's something to be aware of. If it comes down to a choice between keeping a driver who's having problems or losing the haul...you know how that goes.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Communication is so important. Getting angry and lashing out is not communicating when EITHER party does it. Chances are this person is dealing with his bosses, the constraints of their job as well as other truckers. I do think this can be saved, I just am not sure the OP can do it right now.

If a driver goes to the same places all the time, over time you start to develop casual friendships. The reverse can also be true. I won't say what Walmart DC it was, but there was one DC that had a traffic clerk that hated my company. Gave me the stink eyes when I was in there. I always noticed I seemed to be in that door forever. One day I was waiting and was getting close to hitting my 14-hour limit. I asked her why she was so angry with my company. She told me one of our drivers called her names one day and got so belligerent security removed him. That driver was fired when the people that handled General Mills freight said that driver was no longer allowed in GMs property and had been banned in that DC. I know this because I asked later. Because I hauled a lot of candy I almost always had some Hershey or Mars stuff in my truck. I asked that girl if I could make it up to her. I got 2 boxes of those display boxes and gave them to her. I never had an issue in that DC when she was working traffic.

Like @REO6205 said, communication is so important!

11. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We haul to a lot of the same places. There's a couple that have people who make me think "I'm sure glad I'm in and out of here in an hour and don't have to deal with this whiner all day every day". Rude, obnoxious, yells a lot and they give a new meaning to hostile work environment.
    LOL...He's probably thinking the same thing about me.
    But...we get the job done and neither one of us wants anything else but that.

copperdome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.