Where do most truckers park their trailers???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GelatoJP, Sep 22, 2023.

1. CalculatedRisk

CalculatedRisk Heavy Load Member

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    I have a local secured lot that has a gate and a padlock key you must get from the owner. He charges I think $175 per month for you to park where I live and it’s well worth the price. So having said that, I would look for something similar.

I definitely wouldn’t park it at a truckstop or as in one case a friend of mine did at a local Walmart overnight parking and his truck was towed.

do some reconnaissance work before you go to TMC and see what the local places charge. I would rather pay to park in a secured lot then risk getting the equipment towed at my expense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

A phone call to the courthouse or sheriff costs nothing. There are several threads on TTR of new drivers learning they aren't allowed to park at home only when the get a ticket. Obviously the more rural the area the less chance of this happening. Also, it helps to not live in a communist state.

Arctic_fox Thanks this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Where exactly do you live?

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you should somehow strike out with all of the above....

note that Werner has a terminal up in Joliet, IL. :confused: :eek:

Easy-peasy......:p :D

-- L

6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    It doesn't have anything to do with a communist state. I lived in what was the most impoverished, rural county in the "free" state of Florida, Glades County. They do not allow commercial parking on public streets or residential property unless actively unloading, or parked in a garage where nobody can see it. You are not allowed to do repairs on equipment, even inside of the garage.

Meanwhile, rural Colorado seemed to have no problems with my truck being parked on the street. I tried to find a statute for Logan County that prohibits commercial vehicle parking, and couldn't find any. The only thing they seem to care about is that the vehicles must be registered and operable.

Live where you want, know the laws where you live. Then you don't have to worry about someone all of the sudden deciding to enforce the laws because they don't like the brand of beer you drink, while turning a blind eye to people in their circles doing the same thing.

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. GelatoJP

GelatoJP Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2023
    Central Illinois
    I went to the grain elevator down the street from me and they told me that I can park the trailer there for free but it will be at my risk. Thanx for the suggestion. It worked out.

JPSneed Thanks this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you're planning on taking them up on that option -- it might be a good idea to consider putting a kingpin lock on that trailer -- if/when you leave the trailer there for any real length of time.

Although they aren't totally bulletproof -- it will at least discourage the ne'er-do-wells from playing games with someone else's equipment.

-- L

GelatoJP and CalculatedRisk Thank this.
  9. GelatoJP

GelatoJP Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2023
    Central Illinois
    Do you know where I could get a lock for a kingpin?

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The first place I might look is at truckstops. But they will likely be over-priced there.

Otherwise -- I would be inclined to shop on-line for them. Buy from a reputable source.

Others here on the Forum may well chime in, with still other suggestions.

ALSO: If you should decide to invest in a kingpin lock, and then later use it -- you might as well go ahead & get your money's worth.

How? Just after you install it -- take at least one photo of it, installed on the trailer -- with your cellphone. Make sure at least one photo shows the kingpin installed on that particular trailer, as well.

That way -- you can later show your carrier (if need be) that you've indeed made a reasonable effort to secure the trailer -- if it is later stolen anyway. The photo(s) will of course have a "time stamp", as further evidence of such.

CYA. o_O

-- L

11. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I will 2nd what @lual said about the kingpin locks and add this.

Don't go cheap when you get a kingpin lock. You may find some at the truckstops that are inexpensive and others that are pricey. The inexpensive ones are soft and are easily defeated (some trailers have been stolen with the kingpin lock attached.... back under it hard enough and the 5th wheel jaws lock around the kingpin lock). A heavy-duty kingpin lock is more difficult to steal.

JPSneed and CalculatedRisk Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.