Where does I-68 in MD rank in steep grades?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bowman316, Dec 23, 2011.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I run 68 a good bit. It's not too bad. Worst was early morning, like 2am, fog was so thick visibility was down to probably 50'-100'. I crawled over that bugger just waiting for a 4 wheeler to slam into me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    When MD sees a snowflake WV sees a foot . Jane Lew is about 10 hours from my terminal . Many times it was either snowing when I stopped for my break there or snowing by the time I started the next morning .

4. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Heaviest snowfall I have ever seen was on I-68. Couldn't see the mirror on my fender for a bit! I pulled into the newer rest area as you come into WV, and had 5 cars follow me in. They thought I was still on the Interstate, they were just following the big truck in the blizzard!

5. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    i have had everyone following me before in heavy fog. It was on 81 in northern PA. This was really thick fog. And everyone was just following me.

maybe 3 trucks and a few cars.
    I could barley see the shoulder

6. SteveB

SteveB Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Your right about 70 from Washington, PA. I run that a lot and I agree 100% Plus there is nothing good about I68. The hills suck..the fog sucks..and I read a post somewhere in this thread about Cumberland MD smelling like brakes! That is so true. Cumberland is one of the worst places I've been. I hate it there!!

7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Ya'll and your "long hill" garbage. If you come down a hill the right way, it doesn't matter if it's 2 miles or 20 miles! The only time length of grade matters is if you're cheating on your speed knowing you'll get to the bottom before they get too hot.

(Ok, I'll qualify that... the length of grade matters when the yuppies build right next to the interstate and then demand "No Jakes" on the grade:biggrin_25513:... and you actually obey the sign!:biggrin_2559: )

8. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Has a few very tight curves and snow often, not that bad though! You will chain up often on that wolf creek though 160 in CO. 68 is a breeze. I'll get puckering on WV and some PA back roads with 9%+ and curves in snow.

9. superwhackedcat

superwhackedcat Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Altamont IL
    Where is the 13 mile 6% grade on 68?? I haven't been on it in several years and I can't recall that long of a hill.

10. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    it is just west of cumberland, md. around about mile 30 or so in MD.

i know the exit for Frostburg university is right after you start the decent.
    it would be nearly impossible for a truck to take that exit. It is on such a steep hill.

an old gf of mine went to frostburg. she said parked cars would slide down snowy hills, and the wheels would not even spin.
    like the car would just skid on the ice parked, because the hill was so steep.

11. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    been there done that. it is hard. take it slow and choose the correct gear and maintain your "safe speed" with intermittent stab braking.

remember the general rule of thumb....what ever gear it took to climb the hill, drop one to two gears for the decent. so if you climbed it in 8th, then stay around 6th for the ride down.

RickG and airforcetoo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.