Where does I-68 in MD rank in steep grades?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bowman316, Dec 23, 2011.

1. joey77

joey77 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2013
    winona, MS
    68 is OK till u have snow and a lot of trucks in front of u. Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's real fun when you're at 79,000 lbs GVW with hazmat you can't run on the turnpike. GRRR!

4. 3K Trans

3K Trans Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    western md
    Some of those coal buckets are grossing over 100,000 lb and they aint smokin.

5. Tromak

Tromak Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2013
    The approaches to the Eisenhower are significant especially the denver side it seems like. Now ive never actually tried to make a list of the big ones ive seen but it seems to me like there are some big ones on 90 right at the idaho montana border. Just north of the idaho montana area in canada near radium hot springs is no joke either. Those both i think are greater than 6% and 13 miles but i could be wrong. There is also a big pass on one of the major highways that connect oregon and california though it may not be that big.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    My brother and I ran the 68 to avoid the PA turnpike tolls last January when departing SE PA with a heavy load of paper. Not only was it far more expensive in fuel, it was much slower. I've run my fair share in the west and the 68 was definitely an attention getter, kind of like the I-44 in Missouri on steroids.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yep... the tolls on the turnpike are preferable IMO to the expense of fuel and time that you invest in a trip over I68. The grades out west are steep and long, but I68 is just one grade after another from beginning to end, and that is what the deal about it is. The only time I drive it is with a hazmat load that is prohibited in the tunnels on the turnpike.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    ditto. I-68 in terms of grade descents is a piece of cake in comparison to many out west. The "13 miles of 6%" is not an accurate statement by any measure. But it's a miserable road to travel heavy. Ran across there yesterday and got a clean level 3 from MD, though.

9. findyaquick

findyaquick Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, PA.
    Thats the way I go too. Some steep grade going down that way too But not quite as bad as 68. Just don't ever think you can short cut with 40 cause you are sadly mistaken

10. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    There's steeper short grades on 2 lanes in PA. A lot of them lead down into small towns.

Try running across Oregon off the interstates. 25 mph uphill, 25 mph downhill; takes all day.

68 used to be fun until they changed the speed limit and forced trucks to stop at the top of that one grade like they do at Monteagle.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.