Where is everyone #5

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DDlighttruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I can agree with that. School tends to do that. Which is a big reason my kids don't attend public schools. They try to put you in a box and if you don't fit or conform.....your screwed.

Edit: I would also say that public schools encourage mediocrity. They teach to pass a test. That way they get their funding and rank.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its only getting worse. I feel bad for today's and tomorrow's kids.

4. Hurricane69

Hurricane69 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Iowa
    Decide what I want I want to do lol....two weeks out of high school mom came home and said your going to work Monday. I was running a radial drill press making swing arm brackets for kenworth trucks......then spreadalls that go in the top of grain bins....turning dico brake drums.

Went to school for robotics. Got my chauffeurs license and was delivery fertilizer.

My cad class was a joke.....the final drawings I turned in were for two window sash frame machines I had twenty guys already building in the shop. I was self taught but they thought I needed to take the class.

My high school algebra teacher was Iranian.... Back when Iran was holding American hostages. He said stick with me for four years I'll make a engineer out of you. I told him I didn't want to be a engineer. Then spent 27 years of my life in engineering.

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I have an almost "envious" respect for those who were born knowing what they wanted to do in life... having a passion for something and the determination to go for it... that's the recipe for success and happiness... :yes2557:
    I never knew what I wanted to do in life... never had a passion... still don't... :biggrin_25513:

6. Hurricane69

Hurricane69 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Iowa
    Super and Mrs Super are celebrating their anniversary tonight.

Happy anniversary!!!!

7. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
    No ####, I actually had great teachers that gave a #### (small town). Except, for Miss Moore, she was worthless, except for the quarterback, who was in my class, she made sure that POS had a perfect grade. All others were expected to " just figure it out ".

8. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Um. Mediocre is middle. Statistical mean. So that is appropriate. Which is why smart kids or a kid with a knack needs an interested adult to take them further. Not like kids don't have time available just the adults dont.
    Don't know why it's a crime against public school to be mediocre. I just wish they were. This country's educational achievements per dollar are bottom of the barrel for 1st world nations. But hell at least they have a football team right?

9. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    I'm pretty sure every generation thinks they had it worst and the subsequent ones are wasted air.
    But if you really want to ponder the conformity problem imagine being a serf in Europe in 1200. Or a low caste person in India 200 years ago. A slave of whatever origin 1000 years ago in many places on this planet.
    I'm trying to point out that conformity was seriously life and death for lots of people for a long time.
    Life is really tough being a human. And it's better now than it EVER has been unless you're a fairy tale believer.

10. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Alot has to do with parenting or lack of imo. Parents treat schools like a babysitter. Drop kids off, goto work and someone else deals with them. Kids treat it as a social undertaking. Go BS with friends and go home. Why I say the middle is bad is because all others are left behind. The teachers so so worried about the test and not about teaching. They spend alot of time on the bottom kids trying to bring them up and disciplining. No time left for the upper kids. They already know the material so no time spent on them. Unless they are in AP classes, then they are good to go. Adults have plenty of time, they just choose to devote it to other things. Ask an average adult male about sports and they can ramble on for hours. Ask them about their kids and they know nothing. Women tend to wrap themselves up in work. Money has nothing to do with education. Books don't cost alot. We as a society just don't value education. That is why immigrants from certain areas. Tend to do very well in school. Because their culture values education and hard work. That is a societal downfall on our part not poor fiscal policy. In out society, sports are valued alot higher than knowledge. That is why the popular kids are jocks. Some things never change.

11. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I don't know that life is necessarily better. It is alot easier though. Life isn't hard, folks just make it that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.