Where to buy glider kits, engine, etc.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by VisionLogistics, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Thanks!!

Tanks are painted. The air dam....... well... The air dam has been sitting about 40 miles from the shop doing my glider, but, if you can believe this one... the UNION of all things is blocking picking it up since it has a delivery ETA of the 1st. The union hacks in Cedar Rapids will not release the part(s) until the delivery date. That is the only holdup left. We have the engine in, tranny in, everything else done.

So... chock one up the the union jerks. "we will do no job, or release any component, before its time"

Once I get the graphics done for this it should really stand out well. Of course, that will make it an easier target for some idiot to hit!! :biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    What graphics are you going with? Are those wheels the dura brite type where you don't have to shine em? That's lame about the union. Is it a freight company union? I've never heard of that before. Sounds like an excuse, or something. Maybe they accidentally broke it and are waiting on a replacement?

4. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, update. Someone put a flame to their rear end, and we got the air dam and extenders that go with it in a little while ago. Now to prep and paint it and put it on. There is already a couple of projects in the paint booth now at the dealer, but hope we can get everything done by Friday.

Yep, went with alcoa durabrites for the wheels. I hate shining aluminum. I have more important things to do with my life. Will have to touch a few areas with some aluminum polish, but I kept it at a minimum. As far as graphics, working on something now. Looking at running lengthwise this.... a white stripe - red stripe - white stars in center (on the blue paint background) - a red stripe, then a white stripe. Give it a stars and stripes look. Still not firm how we are looking at it, whether we start at beginning of hood and run it to cab extenders, or we go crosswise across the top of the hood, then at an angle downward/rearward on the side of the hood, then lengthwise along the cab and sleeper to cab extenders. Haven't quite decided on width of this graphic. Need to get the truck in hand and over to my graphics shop so we can measure and plan. I kinda wanted this graphic to be somewhat reflective, so that at night when light shines on it, it stands out and stands out a little in the daylight as well.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Hay cowpie are you doing the apu thing?

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009

you've got 3400 for the engine core. 1800 for the transmission core. 2100 for the rear end core. that's 7300. correct?????

i'm curious as to the cost diffenrce to buying a junkyard or wrecked or salvaged truck. something you could take apart on your spare time. albeit finding one with an 18 would be somewhat hard.

couple months ago there was a FL damaged on the passenger side and was asking $1000. for a parts or rebuild truck. don't remember what it had for drivetrain though.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Not. I don't run enough in areas that I need to run an APU enough to justify the cost. I do have a Webasto heater factory installed. Even with what little I may need to idle the truck, I have run the numbers and between the cost of an APU and the maintenance/fuel of the unit, it would take me 10 years to break even on the cost. I may do something in the future, but not worried about it now.

8. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Got a few more pics of the glider. It is still in the shop and the lighting wasn't the greatest.

IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0287.JPG

DL550CAT and The Challenger Thank this.
  9. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Nice! I was waiting to see the motor! That's the engine I want too. I am considering trying to find it as a factory reman and having it dropped into a W900L. Have you heard it run yet? Oh and what drive tires are those? Pretty aggressive tread pattern. Man I bet you're excited to get a load under it!

10. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire

Those look like Michelin Super singles on the rear? If yes how do you like them and also how do they do in snow? I would love to put them on my truck but we deal with snow here in NH 4-5 months out of the year and in the winter we dealer salt so during the storms we are running around 100,000lbs and sometimes in 6-8 inches of snow on the road. We do have one spot chains on one axle but dont know how well the XDN2 tires would do in the snow...

11. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yep, those are Michelin Xone XDN2 wide based. Not sure how they will do overall. Have heard really good things about them on snow and ice. But not only do I have the interaxle lock like everyone, I also have full lockers on each axle. Some may think this is overkill, but I spend the entire winter north of I70, and a considerable portion north of I80. I get into some spots that the typical fleet truck has a tough time with.

That remanned DDEC IV 500 hp engine, we also put on a Bully Dog ported/polished/coated exhaust manifold. We sent the stock waste gate turbo back to the parts bin, and installed a Borg Warner 171702 non waste gated turbo, with a turbo blanket on it. And the stacks have Walker Megaflow mufflers on them, and we put on a mercury filled crankshaft balancer over the damper for good measure. All that hooked up to an 18 speed, it should pull well. Nice thing is, this entire truck came in at a hair over 15,000 lb dry weight. Light and strong.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.