Where to fuel for best fuel mileage?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oneperfectrun, Jun 27, 2012.

1. oneperfectrun

oneperfectrun Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Any of you guys have a preference on where to fuel for getting the best fuel mileage? I normally fuel at Loves. My brother swears his last Pete always got better mileage on fuel from Flying J. That's been several years ago though before Pilot bought them out. Any thoughts or opinions?

Also thoughts and opinions on any additives for increasing fuel mileage?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    for a while I was buying what seemed like mud from pilots in the southeast as judged entirely from what i viewed,and drained,thru my davco fuel filter.NOT making any assertion whatsoever-

4. kalh7

kalh7 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2007
    southern illinois
    When I had my own truck I always had the best mileage with Petro fuel. I know others that said the same thing, just seemed to run better. Wouldn't know what there fuel is like since TA took over though.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a friend of mine who feels that he gets better fuel mileage with TA or Petro. I also seem to do better with TA or Petro on fuel mileage.

6. oneperfectrun

oneperfectrun Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Thanks guys. About the only choices I have where I run are Loves, Flying J and Pilot.

I had been pulling containers and was getting 6.3-6.6 mpg. I swapped over to flatbed about the time that the fuel prices started dropping and my fuel mileage has dropped to around 5.9-6.0. Same thing with a friends truck. Only thing we can figure is its the fuel itself that caused the drop. Fuel quality not as good with the lower prices mabey?

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You never know what some of these oil companies put in their fuel. I have a good friend who has had a problem at some Flying J and Pilots as far as getting water or sludge in his tanks. I have never had a problem with either. I may pay a little more at TA or Petro for fuel, but they also have amenities that I like and use. Pilot is nothing more than a fuel stop. Since they took over Flying J I see little reason to stop. They got rid of the restaurants and put in Denny's in most of their locations and I don't like Denny's. Too little food for too high of a price. They would have done better to have left the Flying J restaurants in place. They have installed Huddle House at a few locations, but that is a very limited menu. I can get a decent meal at TA or Petro. I prefer Petro's food and selections. I would rather buy fuel, park and eat without having to go from one truck stop to another. I do use Love's for some of my fuel purchases, but it is like stopping at a Pilot. I don't remember ever having gotten water or bad fuel from TA or Petro. If you get too much water in your fuel then it will impact your engine's performance and fuel consumption. It may seem that you pay a higher price for fuel at Petro or TA, but if you are getting better fuel and mileage then you may actually be spending less. If you get water in your fuel it can damage injectors and that is a big expense.

8. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    Interesting thread. I swear my fuel mileage drops when I fuel at Pilot in Houston vs TA/Petro. I fuel 90% of the time at TA/Petro anyway because I get a nice discount at those stops. I figured it was because the Pilot fuel was a bio blend but I'm not sure that is the reason for the drop. I do feel that Petro/TA seem to have better quality fuel AND as G/MAN said - one stop shop for better quality showers, food, service, etc.

9. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    From what I understand, Mexico still has real diesel. Best fuel would be south of Texas.

Full sulfur strength.

10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    my cat does not like the bio-diesel blend at loves mileage drops off a lot .5 to .7 a gallon. dont know why but it does

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Put that crap in something that has a DPF filter on it, and you'll be spending a pile of money to get it replaced.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.